Chapter 17

Meetings are a laborious part of ruling the a bunch of bickering imbeciles, but when they each have the power to end life on Earth, it's necessary. The meeting of the Olympians was always a dramatic affair.

All thirteen of the merry bunch, Hestia always included as the mediator, somehow managed to sit in a room and hold a conversation. These things usually ended in fights, but today was especially aggressive.

Zeus was the first to speak, he set the agenda for the meeting.

"I have news to share with you all," he said, looking around at his dysfunctional bunch of relatives, "There is a girl I must claim as my own. She will be presented to you at the equinox. Any attempt to contact her before then will be seen as a threat to her safety."

There was a slight murmur through the room.

"Another? Will she be in competition with the heir?"

"Why hasn't he told us before?"

"Who is the mother?"

"Oh please, we've already heard of our dearest new sister," growled a brawny man in armor, "Now tell us if she's an heir or not."

"Shut up Ares," the rather unusually grumpy Aphrodite called out, "Your son assaulted her and that's the only reason you know."

"She was asking for it, running around with that boy of yours in bars," he said, "I heard she attacked him out of nowhere."

"That boy should be punished," an equally armored woman piped up from beside Ares, giving him a glare that practically burned through him.

"I second that."

"Me as well."

Two golden haired twins said, leaning out to catch more of the drama.

"Enough!" Zeus's voice boomed through the room as he stood, "You're all dismissed."

As he left, Aphrodite trailed him.

"You cannot seriously mean to expose her on just a week's time," she hissed, "She'll know who you are, and then they will find her."

"It's not them, we put them away long ago," he growled, "They'll never hurt us again."

• • •

I avoided the others for the next few days. My father had tried to come to me but I refused to see him.

At least, I conceded to myself, he respected my privacy. Aunt Grace always has, or had.

A twinge of pain runs through my heavy heart thinking of Aunt Grace. She had always been kind to me, even when I was an asshole teen. I wondered if she missed me, or if she was still under the spell that kept her oblivious to my absence.

I spent most of my time searching for information. I was still yet to find the identity of my father, I refused to call him dad, it seemed much to intimate for a man that was gone most of my life. I considered sperm donor for a while, but it just didn't sit well in my mouth. The identity of my hunters was also a complete.

In my search, I discovered a library within my father's home, though it was no use since I did not possess the ability to read Greek. However, I did find diagrams and drawings depicting what I believed to be the twelve gods of mount Olympus. I had some knowledge of Greek and Roman gods from school, though most of it was gone now. I strained to remember their names.

There was Zeus and his wife Hera, the brothers Hades and Poseidon, then an assortment of children whose names I couldn't remember. Then there's also Aphrodite but I'm unsure of her exact connection to the others. Not to mention they all get different names in Roman Mythology, which I couldn't even begin to recall.

Despite my attempts to avoid him I eventually did encounter my father in my pursuit of knowledge. For his size, he can be quiet when he wants to.

"Those are quite outdated, you know," he said, startling me one sunny afternoon. That's not to say I jumped, but I was surprised.

"No one will tell me anything, so I'm going to find out for myself," I said, trying to sound more confident than I was. Wanna guess whether or not that worked? "It would help a lot if someone would tell me where to start, but you stay a mystery, even to the daughter you claim to love soooo much."

Perhaps I was a little snarky, but three days without contact with other sort of humans takes its toll. My great host wasn't very pleased with my attitude, I could see the way he resisted scowling. There was a slight rumble from the skies, but I knew that if I flinchedI would only validate his opinion of himself as high and mighty, to be feared by all.

"Well I can tell you I'm not in there," he grumbled, snatching the old volume from my hands, "A History of Minor Gods and Goddesses, as if." He tucked it into its place and started to leave.

But he turned back once he reached the doorway.

"Do you want to know who I am or not?" He asked, "Follow."

• • •

I was lead to one of the many opulent balconies of humble mansion, vaguely aware that this could be mine one day. Well, that is, if gods could die.

His brow was set in a determined scowl as the clouds began to roll in from seemingly nowhere. They tumbled over each other like waves, roaring like the sea. A sprinkling of water started, then turned to a patter of thick drops and finally a full shower. I though for sure we would return indoors, but my father didn't even flinch at the pounding rain.

"You want to know who I am?" He repeated, "Who we are? That harlot thinks she can control me, huh? Stop me from telling you?"

The sky lit up. A flashing display of pure power. A thunder of sound, almost deafening.

"I am the king of kings, the ruler of the heavens," he growled, his voice seeming to echo through the clouds like thunder.

"I am Zeus."

•    •    •

1009 words

Originally posted 8-25-19

Sorry, Just been off my game with this one. I'm actually working on another book, but I want to get my story straight and have a few chapters ready before I post.