Chosen | 8

Before I even knew what was happening, officials were swarming our tiny farmhouse preparing me for the Selection. Palace seamstresses measured me for my new wardrobe while palace guards quickly went over security measures.

Amidst all the commotion, the old woman with the thick brown glasses who had taken my picture appeared at our doorstep. I learned that her name was Cassandra and she had come to review my application and go over all the official rules.

"Congratulations Miss Berkshire," she grinned as she moved a piece of her wiry gray hair out of the way. "Your mother must be so proud."

I looked over at my mom who was seated next to me. After my name had been called, thousands of people lined up outside our house and the phone started ringing on a loop. We hadn't had much time to talk about everything, but I was determined to let Cassandra know that I could no longer compete due to the threat my father was to my mother.

"Hadley hadn't told me she was entering, so it was a pleasant surprise," my mother commented.

"Before we begin going over the rules, it is my responsibility to let you know Miss Berkshire that you are now property of Illéa. Your body must be taken care of starting today and I have forms for you to sign stating that you will comply. If you refuse to sign or do not keep up with the agreement that will result in immediate removal from the Selection. Any questions thus far?"

"What if I do not want to be in the Selection," I squeaked. Cassandra stopped shuffling through her papers and made eye contact with me.

"Hadley, why don't you hear everything out before you make a decision," my mother piped up. "Give it a chance."

I nodded, my mother signaling for Cassandra to proceed.

"I have already supplied your mother with your vitamins. This will give you access to nutrients you may not have necessarily received as a Four. You must take one a day and your mother will be there to help you. When you are transported to the palace, your maid will take over and be the one offering you assistance."

A large packet of paper was passed over to my mother who quickly scanned the documents. At the bottom, she had to sign the dotted line stating that she had received the box full of nutrients.

I knew we were poor, but my mother never let me go to bed without taking my vitamins. It was ridiculous that we had to sign for pills.

"Now I have already spoken with your doctor and it looks to me that you are in excellent health!"

I bit the inside of my lip. What an invasion of privacy. This woman seemed to know everything about me and it was scary thinking that the whole world would soon have access to all of my personal information if I chose to compete.

"Let's move on. This may be a bit uncomfortable, but it is mandatory that we ask if you are indeed a virgin."

I could feel my face burn up as sweat appeared on my forehead. How could they ask something like that?

"Oh I can answer that," my mother giggled, "Hadley has never left the house."

"I'm sorry, but I need Miss Berkshire to confirm herself that she is a virgin."

I looked at the old woman who sat with a pen ready at hand to start taking notes on whatever would come out of my mouth.

"Yes, I am a virgin."

"Splendid! I'll just have you sign this form saying that you did in fact state that you are a virgin."

I took in a sharp breath as I borrowed her pen to quickly scribble out my name on the dotted line. I was starting to go crazy with the amount of paper surrounding me. Everywhere I looked there seemed to be something for me to either sign or read.