Chosen | 11

There were even more well-wishers lining the roads as we drove up to the palace. Virginia and I sat next to each other in the car. We wondered if the crowds could see us watching them from inside the vehicle or if they could only see tinted glass. Several times we tried to roll down the windows to give our thanks, but we weren't allowed.

The outside of the palace was an eggshell white color, the walls stretching up towards the sky. Guards stood outside the gates, and once we were able to pass through, I noticed that they stood by every column.

The second we exited the car, we were immediately ushered quickly into the palace by three women.

"Sorry to make you run a bit, but we are running behind schedule," one said.

"That's my fault, I spent a lot of time talking to the good people at the airport."

They gave me a look of surprise as we hurriedly walked down the hallway. Each time we passed a room, the three women informed us which room it was. We moved so quickly, however, that I didn't have a chance to memorize the palace's blueprint.

A group of people in front of us parted ways, letting us through to chaos. Rows of mirrors lined the walls with people sat in front of them getting their hair done and their nails painted. Racks and racks were decked out in clothes while stylists shouted out orders.

"Finally, you have arrived," a woman said breaking my stare. She looked to be the person in charge. "My name is Delphine. I believe you have been informed of my role in the Selection?"

Cassandra had told me a lot about Delphine. She had taught the Prince when he was younger and now served as the royal planner at the palace.

"As part of the filming process we will be taking before and after pictures that will be released to the public as part of the makeover special."

Once pictures were taken, I was lead off to an open station where a tall, ginger man stood.

"Lady Hadley, it's a pleasure to work with you," he gushed. I briefly shook his hand, not used to so much attention. "How do we want to make you look today?"

"If it's okay, I don't really want to change everything about myself," I said nervously, looking over at Heather who was bleaching her hair.

The man gave me a look of understanding. "How about a quick polish to enhance your natural beauty?"

"Sounds good to me."

I thought he would get started on washing my hair or something of that sort, but instead a couple women came and washed my body down. I was covered with different lotions and fragrance that when I came out I smelt like strawberries.

My nails were done next. They were cut and my cuticles were pushed back. Dry skin was removed and suddenly my rough work hands had disappeared. The team of girls and I decided to settle on painting my nails white and I watched as they did their work.

I saw June in the peripheral of my vision and thought about calling her name when another team of people came to work on me. My hair was shampooed, conditioned, and cut, but I didn't let them straighten it. After a long argument about whether heat damaged your hair or not, they finally left my hair in its natural waves. It now was barely past my shoulders. I was glad I hadn't let them dye it. I watched as some of the other girls got lowlights, balayages, and some dyed their whole heads a brand new color.

A girl with a small frame did my makeup. Going along with my wishes, she went light on the makeup but added a touch of sparkle. I was surprised to see how much I had changed when I looked in the mirror. I no longer looked like a girl who spent hours working on a farm. I was used to dirt and grime underneath my nails and a rats nest full of hair. The girl looking back at me in the looking glass was different. She was clean, nicely polished, and looked a little older.