Chosen | 23

When I woke up the next morning, Tessa was sitting in Tom's place. A note was attached to her collar. I picked it up and tried to read Tom's handwriting.

I hope to see you at breakfast this morning. It's lonely without you in the dining hall. -Tom

I smiled and pulled Tessa into my lap. She was quick to cuddle into my arms and lick my face. As I pet her, I wondered if what happened yesterday was a dream. I had snuck out with Tom. It had been just the two of us.

"Well you look surprisingly cheerful today," Mae chirped, stepping into the room. "Did it have to do with the boy I caught sleeping in your bed last night?"

I froze and paled at Mae's word. Tessa started nudging at my arm, annoyed that I had stopped stroking her.

"I came to check on you early in the morning, just in time to see Prince Thomas sneaking out."

My cheeks burned and my palms started to sweat. My throat burned and I couldn't form words. This had definitely never happened to me before. "I- um."

"Aw he's got you speechless," she teased.

"Not true," I snorted, my normal demeanor returning for brief moment in time.

"I guess I'm going to have to tell the other maids that I'll be taking everything in the pot."

She disappeared into my closet and I instantly got up to follow her.

"What are you talking about?"

"We all placed bets on who would win," she shrugged, "And I put my money on you."

My mouth dropped open. "Why would you do that!"

She stopped looking through outfits. "Because it's obvious that you are going to be the next Princess."

"That's not true," I stammered, stepping out of the room.

"Hadley, he lights up when he is with you. Truth be told, I have never seen him this lively. Whether you know it or not, he is falling for you and he is falling hard."

A million thoughts ran through my head. He hadn't fallen for me, had he? He couldn't have.

Mae must have sensed my doubt. "He spends the most time with you Hadley. He does ridiculous things for you like wear pajamas during The Report. He slept with you last night!" She sighed, placing a dress down on the bed. "I know about the nightmares. I know that he's the only one that helps you fall asleep. I'm not sure what it is that's holding you back, but he's the one Hadley. He's yours."

Her words echoed as I walked down to the Women's Room. I was an awful person destroying everything in my wake. Mae spent her money betting on me. Tom was sleeping next to me and taking me out on dates. I couldn't be the person they wanted me to be. I was here temporarily for my mother and I couldn't lose sight of that.

A plan formed in my head. I would only talk to Tom when it was necessary, and I would spend my time promoting June. Hopefully Mae could start betting on June instead of me.

"There you are! We've been waiting for you," June chirped as soon as I entered the Women's Room.

It was a Saturday, meaning there was nothing scheduled for today. It was the one day a week where we were all required to stay in the Women's Room.

"Sorry, to keep you waiting. You said you wanted to talk to me?"

She hesitated, looking at Rose who was standing near us. She bit her lip and took me to one of the couches.

"I think I'd rather wait until there is no one else around."

She must have a secret. I wanted to know what it was, but I didn't blame her for wanting to wait. Heather and her posse were in the room.