Chosen | 14

After breakfast, we were told that we were able to explore the gardens. I was glad to finally get outside in the sun. The palace was great and all, but I felt trapped.

I followed the rest of the girls out to the garden. Some of them complained about the heat and how they didn't want to walk back in sticky and gross. I could only shake my head as they missed what was right in front of them.

"Wow it's so beautiful out here," Virginia marveled.

Fat, little bumblebees buzzed around hopping from flower to flower. June bent down observing them, being careful about getting too close. I could tell she was just as excited about being outside as I was.

"Hey there Hadley," a voice said from behind me.

I turned around to see Blair. Her eyelash extensions made her eyes look bigger than they actually were. They made her look more innocent in a way.

"Hey Blair."

"Enjoying this perfect day?"

I flashed a fake smile. "Its so nice out here. I hope we can come out to the gardens more often."

I tried to read her face, but came up with nothing. All I could rely on was my intuition, and I didn't feel good about Blair. She had gotten very close to Heather over the past few hours and Heather hated me for some reason.

"Uh-huh. But, I feel like you would be more comfortable over there though," she smirked. I looked to where she was pointing, seeing the palace stables. "This place is just so beautiful and regal and... you're just not."

"You stick out like a sore thumb and you're making us all look bad," Heather chimed in, joining Blair's side.

"Maybe you should go where you belong."

This was the Blair I knew.

"Yeah, I guess you're right," I grinned. "I don't belong here. But neither do you."

Before they could protest, I walked off in the direction of the stables. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to venture off from the gardens, but I didn't care anymore. Getting in trouble was better than being in close proximity with Heather and Blair.

As I approached the barn the familiar smell of manure made itself present. I grew up smelling the stuff, so it didn't affect me. I could imagine the evil twins approaching the horses and fainting due to the smell. I chuckled to myself as I lifted my dress up to step inside.

A beautiful white horse lifted its head and turned towards me. Her big black eyes were full of curiosity. "Hey girl. What's your name?" I cooed.

I placed my hand on the stallion's nose. She was polished incredibly well, her hair being soft. She snorted as my hand curled around her ears.

"Her name is Arden."

I flinched as a boy appeared at my side. He was wearing a plaid button up and faded jeans. A huge belt sat tightly at his waste and glittered under the sun. His face was unbelievably tan, probably from working long hours taking care of the horses and he had the curliest bright blonde hair.

"I'm sorry if I startled you," he smiled. There was a rag in his hand and he was polishing a bridle as he stood next to me. "You must be one of the Selected."

"Hadley Berkshire," I stated, shaking his hand.

"Tate Wright." He introduced himself as the stablehand.

I turned back to the white stallion. I couldn't stop looking at her. "I'm sorry for intruding, but I just couldn't pass up seeing these beauties."

"You're a Four then?" He asked, hanging up the bridle before grabbing another one.