Chapter Eight

"...Don't mess with a woman who is one quarter Irish. It will only end in tears..."

'What in God's name are you doing here?' Were the only words that left my mouth when I caught sight of my boyfriend making himself more than at home on my grandparents sofa. He just put his hands up and smiled. Who did he think he was, The Fonz? (No, he would never be that cool!)

'Well, you said you wanted me up here, so here I am.' He replied, curling his legs up underneath him whilst still wearing his shoes. I swear, Granddad Mel was holding Grandma Nicki back at this point.

'You told me that you weren't going to leave everything for me.' I was raging at this point. I couldn't believe the nerve on the man! I had just had a really good night and this tramp was making marks on my Grandmother's sofa!

'Yeah, listen Dudette, can we talk about this alone maybe?' Tristan said, scanning the room at the five sets of eyes that were bearing down at him right now.

'Don't call me that!' I snapped, causing Dad to jump as I had momentarily turned into my mother!

'Who says she wants to be alone?' Lillian piped up; arms folded foot tapping on the floor.

'Lil, its ok.' I said, raising my hand. 'Perhaps it's better of me and Tristan we did talk alone.'

'As long as you are sure my darling.' Mum said, giving my "boyfriend" the same looks that she gave Dad most of the time.

'Yes I'm sure now, please if you wouldn't mind?' I shooed them all out of the living room and closed the door behind them. I swear Granddad Mel stated using words that I had never heard him use before. I leaned against the door with both my arms stretched out and fingers splayed on the cream coloured wood. I took a few deep breaths before straightening up and turning around to face a grinning Tristan.

'Baby.' He said, sloping his way over to me. 'You do look gorgeous.' I felt his arm slither around my waist and I knew exactly what he was after. And he definitely wasn't getting it. I grabbed his hand and then twisted his arm around his back. It wasn't the first time I had done this and it certainly wouldn't be the last. Times like these, I thanked my mother for the self-defence classes she made me go to as a kid.

'Ahh, Jess you're hurting me argh!' Tristan yelped as I tightened my grip.

'I am aware of that.' I answered through gritted teeth. 'And I will keep on doing it if you don't keep your hands off me.'

'Ok, I promise, I promise! Argh ... please let me go Jess.' Tristan whimpered. I decided that enough was enough for now anyway and released his arm. He jumped away from me and immediately took a breath whilst grabbing his arm. He looked as though he had tears in his eyes and I was glad that he did.

'Hurting?' I asked walking over to the tray of drinks that stood on the old Chesterfield Sideboard. I poured myself a glass of the first thing I placed my hands on, which unfortunately for me was Brandy. I was never any good with Brandy. It put me a bad mood so it would only make me worse obviously.

'Yes I am actually.' Tristan replied, sitting back down on the sofa. 'That's your version of the Vulcan nerve grip!'

'Whatever.' I threw the Brandy down my throat in one large gulp and poured myself another. Conscious of Tristan's eyes on me, I pulled my top up over my shoulders as far as it would go. I didn't want to be accused of giving him the come on. He wasn't getting that pleasure.

'Are you not talking to me then?' he asked, finally noticing that I was ignoring him. I straightened up and turned around, taking another long gulp of my almost empty glass.