Chapter Ten

"...Rain at the seaside means one thing ... ARCADES!"

I finished my column in record time and posted it to Bernice straight away, via the business email. Even though my column was fast becoming the most popular thing in the paper (her words believe it or not), she still didn't trust me to post it up online myself. After doing so, I took Simon's advice and fell asleep, I didn't know how long for but it was still light when my eyes opened again. The seagulls were still bleating outside and I am sure that the Hotel opposite had already loaded their shotguns (I head whispers about it and to be honest I wouldn't put it past them!)

After freshening myself up, I decided that I should really brave going downstairs and face everybody. I somehow knew that Tristan would still be out so that wasn't bothering me. What was bothering me was that he was still here even though I had specifically said, ok may be in not so many words said, but implied that I didn't want him to be. Tristan was never very good at listening. In fact, trying to rack my brain for anything he was actually good at would take me another six years to try and figure him out at all.

When we first got together, it wasn't this bad. I of course, was in the throes of first love, which felt amazing. But slowly Tristan started showing his true colours and after six years, I knew the whole spectrum. It was sad really. The only good thing we had now was sex. And I even had to start faking with that or using it as a tool to actually get him to notice me. I don't know why I was thinking this as I descended the stairs of the Towers. It was totally random and not what I usually thought about. Normally when attacking the stairs, especially at the Towers, I tried not to trip over, they were very and I mean very steep!

'Jessie, my angel!' Grandma Nicki shouted from the bar, sending Granddad Mel flying, tea towel and all.

'Hey.' I said quietly, whilst shoving my hands into my pockets. As much as I adored her, a Grandma Nicki hug was not needed right now. 'Everything ok down here?

'Sweetheart, we should be asking you that.' I was pushed into a chair and a glass of water thrust into my hand. 'You gave us a scare. And I am going to kill that daughter of mine for leaving you in that state.'

'It wasn't her fault I fainted Gran.' I said, knowing that Lillian's head on a platter was something I did not need on my slightly dizzy conscious.

'No, but it's her fault that you ended up at the clinic.' Grandma Nicki was almost spitting feathers. 'At least she got you there I suppose.'

'Gran, honestly I'm ok.' I protested once again. 'Just everything got a little on top of me that's all. Call it brain overload.'

'Is it because of ...' Grandma Nicki titled her head towards the door. 'You know...'

'You can say his name you know.' I smiled. 'But I suppose there is some truth in it. I was really looking forward to coming here. And he made it clear that this was my home not his, so to be honest, I don't even know what he's doing here.'

'He's a man sweetheart.' Grandma Nicki smiled. 'They are all the same.'

'Even Granddad?' I giggled.

'Oh, especially you're Granddad.' Grandma Nicki threw her arms into the air. 'You know, when him and me had our first date, his wandering hands wouldn't keep themselves to themselves. I battered him about three times before he would listen.'

'But he did eventually.' I smiled.

'Suppose he did.' Grandma Nick nodded.

'You see, that's what I want Gran. I want someone who will be there for me no matter what. Even if all this writing stuff fails and I became a bar maid here again, I would have that reassurance that someone actually loves me.' Whoh! I was getting deep! Grandma Nicki smiled and placed her hand on mine.