Chapter Sixteen

"...Fairgrounds and old friends... kind of a good mix sometimes..."

The Barflies were in fine voice that Saturday afternoon. Despite everything that had gone on, Granddad Mel had not let my punishment go. Instead, he decided that it would be good for me to get back into the swing of my late teen years when I worked the bar in between University terms. Lillian had been released from hospital two days after her admittance with the strict proviso that she was to rest and go nowhere near a bottle of anything alcoholic. Grandma Nicki had already caught her trying to break into the liquor cabinet. Simon had booked my Aunt in for her first counselling session on the Monday. He knew that Lillian would be a full time job so he decided to take a sabbatical from The Buccaneer. He had told me this during one of his long phone calls during the days following Tristan's departure. Swatting away an overzealous hand from the beer pump, I cursed Granddad Mel for abandoning me. Even though I had put my trainers and my most comfy pair of jeans on, my feet and legs ached like a bitch. Looking down at my watch, I cursed the fact that I still had an hour to go before I could escape the impromptu Karaoke for a bit and get some fresh air before the late night shift started. It was the first Saturday I had been here that I hadn't been outside at the break of dawn and I could see through the windows that it was another beautiful July day. I sighed deeply before catching one of the regulars going for the Scotch optic.

'Not so fast Cyril.' I said, bending his arm behind his back and throwing back to the other side of the bar to the chorus of many cheers from the gathering.

'Get away with you pet, I was only having a bit of fun.' He replied, fluttering non-existent eyelashes at me.

'Just because I'm not Mel, don't think you can get one past me.' I waved my finger at him. 'And that goes for the rest of you lot to. Behave yourselves or I am calling time and I mean it.'

'Ah Mel wouldn't mind one little bit. We're only having a laugh with ya.' Cyril didn't seem to be getting the message at all. Time for tough love.

'One more time and I'm calling Mel and I mean it.' I threatened a threat, which was met by a bunch of ooooooo's. I rolled my eyes and banged my head on the bar praying for salvation.

'Did I hear my name being used in vain my angel?' Granddad Mel's entrance was met with cheers and raised glasses to which he bowed down to. I rolled my eyes and threw his trusty tea towel at him.

'That's it.' I said, coming out from the behind the bar. 'I'm out of here.'

'But you haven't finished your shift yet.' Granddad Mel protested.

'Yes I have.' I picked up my bag and gave him a kiss on the cheek. 'I'm off to do research.'

'Where?' he asked, with a knowing tone in his voice as he took his usual place by the Jukebox.

'Pleasure Beach.' I smiled, before walking out the door.

Reaching the bottom of the street, I slipped on my sunglasses and took all of two minutes before deciding that a walk to the famous fairground was better than taking a tram. It was the height of the tourist season and a Saturday so not only would they be crammed to the brim, they would probably over shoot three or four stops because no one would realise that you have to press a bell to get off (never used to happen on the old green and whites). Just before I turned the corner, a small tap on the shoulder made me spin around and lose my balance.

'Ooo careful.' Simon's hands grabbed onto my waist before I had the chance to face plant the pavement. I looked up at his gorgeous eyes and forgot to breathe before my ribcage forced the air out of my lungs. His hand felt nice, but was that just the rebound voice in my head, I wondered to myself. I cleared my throat and quickly brushed myself down, lightly removing his hands as I did so.