Chapter Eleven

"...Two men, one pub and one very drunk Aunt. So much for a quiet one!"

Against my better judgement, I actually went back into the living room and told Tristan about Simon's invitation. I was hoping to God that he would turn it down flat, throw a tantrum and bugger off back to London but to my utter shock and surprise, he thought that it would be a great idea to get to know my friends a little better. I didn't know whether this was Tristan's sarcasm or whether he was being genuine, it was very hard to tell these days. I was taking it as sarcasm considering our moods, but being the wonderfully patient woman that I was, I decided to let him come along.

It took me an hour to get my full glad rags on. Tristan probably wouldn't notice but Simon would. The weather was still a little horrid but it had dried up once again and the night air was warm. I still didn't take the risk of wearing anything that showed my legs just in case things took a turn for the worse but my beloved boots were being given the night off. Instead, I dragged my shiny leggings out of their hiding place in the wardrobe and pulled them on coupled with a long pink silky top and matching black jacket. Then came the fun part. I placed my strappy Jimmy Choos on my feet and caressed them like a long lost old friend.

'Hello lover.' I cooed, as the gorgeous leather wrapped around my feet and ankles like a second skin. I didn't get much of a chance to wear my believed £450 shoes in London, social engagements weren't Tristan's thing. But tonight, they got to breathe again. I stood up and looked in the mirror. I was rather pleased with the final look. Due to the risk of high winds, my hair had been tied back into a sleek ponytail showing up my bargain basement earrings. Damn it, I looked good! And that was something I normally never said about myself. I knew that I was making a conscious effort to impress but I wasn't quite sure I wanted to impress. Tristan or Simon. The dozy brunette or the attractive blonde. Jesus, I sounded like a chick lit novel! No, I was worse than a chick lit novel. At least in those, the girl always got her man. I still didn't know if I wanted to get rid of mine or not. Argh! Why was my brain doing this to me? I had no time to dwell on it. I needed to get out there and get drinking! And I am well aware that with that statement, I sound like Lillian!

I trotted downstairs, as daintily as I could. I wanted to look like a proper lady. A lady. I could do that. I mean, I was born female. Just because I lived in jeans and boots didn't mean that I couldn't act like a woman. I could. Tristan knew this. Simon didn't. I was a total tomboy in school, apart from the Christmas disco where my skirt was shorter than the old Headmaster. So, this would be the first time Simon actually saw me dressed up, well apart from the other night but ... oh God perhaps my brain was still fuzzy from the fainting fit. I meant TRISTAN had never seen me dressed up. We never went out unless it was to one of his gigs. So that meant jeans and boots. The only time he ever saw my legs was.... yeah let's not go there shall we!

'Oh you look lovely.' I heard my mother say as I turned into the bar. Her eyes were completely sparkling and for one naive moment I thought it might have been because of me. But then I saw Dad sitting opposite, still breathing and in one piece and realised that I was wrong.

'Thanks.' I answered, pulling at the handle of my bag. 'Have you two seen Tristan anywhere?'

'No sorry love.' Dad answered, sipping on his drink. 'But speaking of the devil...' he motioned to the chair beside him. I rolled my eyes as I sat down, knowing that there would be a lecture any minute now on the reality of being in a relationship.

'Darling,' Mum began. 'Your father and I have been talking...' Without killing each other? This was a first!

'Yes we have.' Dad continued, nodding his head.