Ch. 4, Flashback

[A/N]

I added an OST from Inuyasha that reminded me of this chapter.  I recommend listening to it while reading! <3 Enjoy!

***

Chapter 4

A Few Years Ago (Third POV)

A young, beautiful girl wondered through the forest with a basket in her hands.  Her clothes were covered with dirt and other debris.  Leaves and sticks stuck to her cloak.  She had been exploring the woods in hopes of finding herbs but was having no luck.  The girl sighs, tucking a single strand of hair behind her ear. "I guess there's not many plants available during the winter, huh?" she mumbles, looking down at her relatively empty basket.

Snowflakes begin to fall from the sky and quickly cover the forest's floor.  The sudden cold air causes a shiver to run through the girl's spine. She wore only a thin kimono and a cloak, not nearly enough to survive the winter's unforgiving weather.   She would freeze to death if she did not find shelter soon.

The girl runs throughout the woods, gradually picking up her pace to add warmth to her body.  Her eyes dart from place to place, desperate to find a cave or cavern to rest until the snow stops.  She runs and runs but is only ever surrounded by an abyss of trees.  It was too late to turn back to the village, she had ran too deep into the forest.  There seemed to be no hope.

Until suddenly, an opening appears.  The girl cautiously walks through it and is greeted by a large, empty canvas of snow.  A lone tree stands tall and proud towards the middle of the white patch.   It has a hole in its center that could act as a possible shelter.  She sprints towards the tree, her hood slipping off her head.  The idea of warmth gave her motivation to push through the heavy layers of snow suffocating her legs.

As she gets closer to the tree, the girl freezes.  Her eyes widen and she lets out a horrified gasp.  A man laid unconscious amongst the snow, practically buried.  His body was covered with cuts and his blood stained the areas around him.   The girl ran towards him and began digging him out of the snow.   His breathing was faint and he shook violently from the cold.  

Taking off her cloak, she wraps it around him.  She rest his back onto her thighs and presses his head against her chest, forcefully pushing her spiritual energy into his body.  Instantly, she coughs up blood.  "So you're a demon.." she whispers to him, cupping his face in her delicate hands.  For humans, demons were dangerous to heal.  Humans who give their spirit energy to an injured demon, take the pain of the demon into their own bodies.  

The girl felt as though she was on fire.  Her chest began to ache, tears fell from her eyes and onto the demon.  The pain was unbearable but she couldn't abandon someone who needed help, whether it be human or not.  Closing her eyes, she presses the man back into her chest and forces even more of her energy into him.

As the man's breathing begins to even, his eyes shoot open.  His movement causes the girl to release him from her chest.  She peers down at him, with a meek smile on her face.  "I'm so glad," she says, pushing a strand of the demon's white hair out of his eyes, "I didn't think I could save you with all the injuries you had."

The white haired demon blinks, extremely confused at the situation he was in.  He was being held by a human woman who basically brought him back from the dead.  She was crying and blood ran from her mouth.  Why would a human woman save him? He was demon.  Demons literally kill people!