Ch. 10, Mount Hakurei

Chapter 10

Wind softly blew through your hair as Sesshomaru charged into the blue sky. His strong arms secured themself around your thighs. You locked your arms on his neck. The two of you flew in silence as Rin and Jaken followed shortly behind on Ah-Un.

Sesshomaru always had strange errands to run during the day. He would venture to the mountains, roam through the forests, and come back to the Manor as if he was simply arriving from a trip to the market. It was the first time that he allowed you to tag along in his daily run of "demon lord matters."

"Where are we going today, Sesshomaru?" You question, resting your head on his shoulder. He smelled surprisingly good for a dog demon, like a mixture of pine and flowers.

"Mount Hakurei" He briefly responds. Sesshomaru wasn't really the type to make conversation, "I have some buisness to take care of with Naraku."

"Naraku? Who's that?"

"A very evil demon, [Y/n]!" Rin yells from behind, "He's really scary! And strong!"

"Strong? I'm sure he's not that bad, Sesshomaru could easily kill him."

Sesshomaru smirks. He felt a sense of pride from your acknowledgement of his absolute strength and divinity, which was quite unexpected. With his flat personality, you would never expect him to be smug over a little compliment.

"Of course I can." He grunts.

Sesshomaru glides down from the sky and butterflies errupt in your stomach. You were not a fan of heights and Sesshomaru could feel your grip tightening around him.  He took a mental note that you, his precious, stubborn mate, were scared of heights. Such a trivial human fear, Sesshomaru thought.

Rin, Jaken, and Ah-Un landed behind you as Sesshomaru's feet lightly hit the ground. You release your arms and legs from his body and allow your shoes to nuzzle into the grass. The smell of greenery delighted your senses.

You had arrived at the base of a tall, unfamiliar mountain. You've never left the premises of the village so you were clueless as to where you were. "What a tall mountain..." You mumble, groaning at the idea of walking. "Are we going up it?"

"You're not." Sesshomaru commands, "It's too dangerous for you to even step foot on that mountain."

"Dangerous? It's just a mountain."

"You stupid human! That mountain is too powerful for someone as weak as you to go through. Don't you feel the purifying aura?" Jaken waddles up to you, waving his staff around. You take a minute to sense your surroundings but you don't feel any aura that is harmful in particular.

"Purifying aura, you say? No I don't feel it and even if I did, I'm a human. The aura wouldn't have an affect on me, it would affect little rascal demons like you, Jaken."

"Why you wrench-!"

"I don't feel anything either!" Rin interrupts, looking around the mountain. It was beautiful and scattered with little trees that covered its crevices. You nod at Rin and ruffle her hair, adjusting her unruly kimino from the flight. "Maybe only demons feel it?"

"I think so," You mutter, looking up at Sesshomaru. He looked perfectly fine while Jaken looked sickly. If there was a purifying aura, wouldn't Sesshomaru be in pain? "Are you alright, Sesshomaru?"

"As if a weak purifying aura would have an affect on me." He says, adverting his eyes from you. He was lying though. The aura was making him a bit nauseous and he knew that as he went into the mountain, he would only feel worse. It was best that you stayed here. He didn't want you to see him in a weakened state.

"Does that mean Rin and I can go up the mountain with you?" You ask, batting your lashes in a failing attempt to persuade him.

"No."

"Oh..." You sighed. You thought that if you were to come with Sesshomaru on his little adventures, you'd be able to spend more time with him. He was always so busy nowadays. "So I have to stay here..."

Sesshomaru's ears perk at your disappointment. He hated making you upset but he couldn't afford to lose you. It was safest if you stayed at the base of the mountain with Rin until he arrived back.

"I won't take long," He reassures, grabbing onto your waist and pulling you into a very uncomfortable hug. Sesshomaru wasn't the type to participate in PDA, so infront of Rin and Jaken he felt quite strange. He knew, however, that his failing attempts to show love would make you happy. "I'll be back. Just stay safe. My aura should keep off pests."

You tense in his grip and slowly wrap your arms around his torso, "Don't take long, I want to drink more tea when we go back to the Manor."

"I know." He says, pulling away. "Jaken, come."

You and Rin wave bye as Sesshomaru and Jaken disappear into the mountain. Ah-Un rubs up against you. You lean onto her, as sadness rushes into your body.  You were a fool for thinking that this little trip would be like a vacation with Sesshomaru.

"Let's go get food, [Y/n]!" Rin rushes off. She was such an energetic child and her enthusiasm always made you feel better.

"A-alright, Rin! Wait a second."

You run after the tiny girl with your hands gripping on the ends of your kimono. The fabric was too delicate and expensive to be dragged across the forest floors. Ah-Un slowly followed behind.

***

Rin slept on your lap as you watched the campfire twist and turn. It had been hours since Sesshomaru left and you were left to set up camp for the night. It would probably be a while before he came back.

"Ah-Un, if I fall asleep will you watch base?" You playfully ask the demon yokai. She looked at you with her usual blank stare before closing her eyes. You release a weak chuckle. You probably wouldn't be getting any sleep tonight.

Babysitting Rin was a workout. She was incredibly hyper compared to other kids her age, so it wasn't a surprise that your energy drained. As you ran your fingers through her hair, you could feel yourself drift off.

Suddenly, you felt a hand cover your mouth. Your eyes shot open to see nothing but darkness. The fire had been put out and the moon provided very little light. Rin still laid on your lap and Ah-Un was peacefully sleeping off to the side. You averted your vision to the source of the hand.

"Hello [Y/n]," A familiar voice deafened your ears, "It's been a while."

Suikotsu!?

[A/n]

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Sorry for the cliff hanger :P Thank you for all the support on this series, it means the world to me!

I originally planned on ending this at about 15 chapters but I think I'm going to have to extend it on. There is still so much I want to cover and I cannot wait to show you all! I hope you stick around for our journey with [Y/n] and Sesshomaru

-jas