Chapter One: The Runaway

You glared at him as his hand gripped your chin tighter, tears threatening to spill but you won't give him that satisfaction.

"Nod if you understand"

You narrowed your eyes and nodded slowly.

"Get to work then, visits are coming over" He let you go and you made your way to the kitchen as you heard him walk out and close the door, probably going with some other girl he met at the bar.

Once you heard the car going away, you ran towards your room.

Everything was ready, you grabbed your few things and placed them inside the backpack, quickly opening your window and jumped out. Running as fast as your legs could carry you not looking back.

Your chest was on fire and you legs felt like jelly once you finally arrived at the bus station. You quickly bought your ticket and sat down, sweat running down your face as you looked at the clock, in no time your father would be back and notice you are gone. You tried to steady your breathing and relax, just 5 more minutes and you'd be away.

Those five minutes felt like hours but the bus was finally ready. You stood up quickly and got in, taking your seat you felt the tiredness taking over, you body betraying you as your eyes started to close but it seemed you'd have to rest later because you noticed your father looking for you inside the station.

Your heartbeat increased again and you prayed to whoever was out there that your bus would go already. You felt like throwing up as you saw him walk towards your bus but thankfully the doors closed and you were on your way back home.

You finally relaxed, a deep sigh leaving your lips and you smiled, happy tears running down your face as you thought of your brother Dustin. You were finally going to see him after 10 years of being away.

You grabbed your walkman and as the music filled your ears you were finally able to close your eyes and sleep.

_______

It was late when you finally arrived at Hawkins, excitement running through your veins as you made your way towards the address Dustin gave you a few months back, it seemed to be a long walk but you didn't mind, all you wanted was to be home.

After a really long walk you were finally there, you could smell dinner from the door and you smiled, tears blurring your vision as you knocked on the door, hurried steps followed suit and you were finally face to face with Dustin.

"Y/N?" his voice sounded uncertain but as you enveloped him in a hug, he knew it was you. You were a sobbing mess now, looking at his face as he smiled, your heart warming at the sight of his missing teeth, you've really missed him.

"What is happening out there?" You heard your mom behind him and you let Dustin go rushing to give her a massive hug.

She gasped as she saw you, opening her arms widely to welcome you in a hug as a sob escaped her.

"I'm back mom" you gasped "I'm finally back"

"I know baby" she kissed your head and Dustin joined the hug.

"Let's eat dinner together" Dustin suggested and you sat down at the table, smiling brightly as you ate and Dustin told you everything that happened since you were gone.

You'd have killed to see him grow up but it did not matter anymore, you were finally back and you won't let anyone harm him in any way.

You were glad your room was still there, placing your belongings was not hard because you didn't have a lot to begin with.

You didn't have pijamas so you borrowed one from your mom and she insisted on going shopping at the new mall tomorrow with your brother.

Dustin didn't mind, he said he had to visit a friend there tomorrow anyway.

After telling your mom the whole plan and washing dishes you said your respective good nights and went to your room.

It was dark.

You couldn't feel anything but someone was calling your name. You tried opening your eyes but the light was blinding you.

A strong hand gripped your arm and you gasped turning around.

"Go back!"

A guy that seemed your age with long hair and blue pleading eyes was looking right at you. 

You tried to break free but his grip only seemed to tighten more around your wrist.

"Let me go!" you exclaimed and the guy looked at you again "Save them" he said and you were about to ask who when a giant creature appeared behind him and grabbed his ankle taking him away with a loud scream.

You sat up gasping for air, it seemed so real, you could still feel the throbbing pain in your wrist. You looked around remembering everything that happened. You breathed deeply trying to steady your heartbeat.

When you relaxed you stood up and walked out of your room and making your way towards Dustin's. You quietly opened the door and stepped inside trying to be as quiet as possible.

You laid next to him and grabbed the covers, Dustin stirred and turned around 

"Y/N?" 

"Go back to sleep Dustin" you said "I just had a nightmare"

"Are you okay?" 

You nodded and whispered a yes, he hummed and fell back asleep. 

You closed your eyes trying to fall back asleep but those desperate eyes kept waking you up through the night.