Chapter 2

Upon entering the homely establishment, I approached the front desk, where a young woman grinned at me kindly. I couldn't help but notice the wide gap between her front two teeth as she beamed at me, as well as the curly blonde hair that cascaded down her shoulders and framed her pleasant face. I returned the smile as I took the last step up to her desk. 

"Mornin', hun!" she exclaimed amiably as she handed me a menu, "Did ya make a reservation?" 

I grinned at the lady as I took the menu from her hand. "No, I didn't. Was I supposed to?" 

She shook her head. "No, it's fine. We've got a full house, but you should be able to find yourself a spot somewhere." 

I stifled an eyebrow raise and internalized that reaction instead. "Alright, thank you, ma'am." 

With that, I stepped through the cream-colored curtains that separated the waiting area from the rest of the restaurant. A blend of multiple pleasant aromas wafted into my nostrils from off the many dishes sitting atop the tables. In addition, the delightful clinkings of utensils hitting their plates and similar sounds drew an inexplicable smile to my face. The hearty laughter and smiling faces all around also added to my excellent impression of the establishment. 

As I strolled through, I scanned the tables for empty seats, but realized with disappointment that none remained. Just when I'd decided to turn around and leave, I saw a young man wearing a beret descend a trio of steps that evidently led around a corner to another seating section. 

I stepped up the stairs and nodded slowly as I took in the sights and smells of my new discovery. My gaze drifted leftward as I heard a guitar being strummed atop a small stage I hadn't yet noticed. Sure enough, I locked eyes with a brunette teenager who sang and accompanied her melodic voice with the beautiful chords. I gave her a grin and dropped some money into the little pink hat that lay at her feet. She mouthed me a "thank you" between verses and continued on, as did I. 

Finally, I came to the single table that had some empty space. The table's only occupant was an expressionless man who sported a black denim jacket and sawed hungrily into a juicy steak. A black hat sat beside his plate, which allowed me to view his haircut, with the full growth on top and shaved shortness of his sides. 

"Excuse me, sir," I began, "do you mind if I sit here?" 

"Go ahead." the man replied dryly, not even bothering to look up. 

After a second's pause, I slid into the booth opposite my new tablemate and put my menu down. I sighed and reached my hand across the table. "Well, it'd be weird to eat a meal together and not be at least vaguely acquainted. I'm Baird." 

The man's eyes slowly drifted up from his plate to my hand, and he studied it for a second before thrusting his rough fingers into a handshake. "Jedrek." 

"It's nice to meet you." I said pleasantly, though slightly bothered at the fact that he'd never met my gaze. 

Jedrek grumbled in response and returned to his silent dining. 

In the next twenty minutes, I sat awkwardly, studied the menu, ordered from it, and suffered through more uncomfortable silence, while Jedrek studiously evaded eye contact and savored his meal. My only source of entertainment was listening to the teenage vocalist across the room while I drummed my fingers on the table. 

At long last, our well-groomed waiter arrived with the lasagna I'd ordered, as well as Jedrek's second steak. When he set himself right back to cutting the well-seasoned meat and paid me no mind, I realized that my plans to make new acquaintances and socialize freely...well, they were quite likely to fail.