Chapter 25

(Abigail's POV) 

My heartbeat skyrocketed when I heard boots crunch on the gravel by the riverside. The mumbling voices got closer, and I'd reached a dead end. I could clamber over a wall of boulders and run, but then I'd obviously be spotted and chased. How is this lingering business any better, though, Abigail? I asked myself. The voices were now not only getting closer, but clearer now. 

"C'mon!" one man growled, "Where's the stupid girl? She's making us lose our lunch breaks!" 

"I dunno," droned another, "I wouldn't call her stupid, though, just misguided." 

"Ooooh," squealed a third man with a nasally voice, "Erneldo's crushin'!" 

"Eww, no." the man apparently named Erneldo contradicted, "I just don't jump to conclusions." 

"Who ya should be callin' stupid is that Danlashian girl." said a fourth guy. How many of these bastards are there? 

"Why? She's cute, at least." 

I heard several snorts, many of which came from voices that hadn't yet spoken a word. Dread was sinking in. 

"Pffft, ya say that as if cuteness means a single thang, which it don't. The fact is, dem Danlashians are a stupid, stubborn bunch, mentally challenged and entirely unsuited for anything requirin' intellect beyond a donkey's." 

"I dunno, though, have you heard that girl talk?" asked an unfamiliar voice, "If you can call that talking, anyways. Balaam's donkey spoke far more eloquently than she ever could." 

The men burst into hearty laughter, their voices still drawing closer. I'd been scared before, but now I was just purely angry. They'd thrown so many horrible jabs and insults at my blonde friend behind her back, that I couldn't restrain my rage. I rose up suddenly and threw my bladed rock into the nearest soldier's temple. 

Oops

The man screamed as blood poured from his head. Eww. He growled and ran at me with a balled fist. I ducked to avoid the punch. As I rose up, I inhaled sharply and shoved my shoulder into his protruding belly. The man stumbled away, gasping for breath. 

My heart rate doubled yet again as the other men clambered over boulders and stones, swiftly headed my way. Fight, or flight? I asked myself, instantly realizing the latter was the only one I stood a chance with. I drew in a quick breath and dashed for the wall of boulders separating me from the rest of the forest. I leapt up onto the first boulder and began improvising my way to the top of the pile. 

"Oh come on!" The men shouted in frustration behind me. They struggled to maneuver the stony maze below and found they had to slow down to figure it out. 

Meanwhile, I clambered to the top of the rocky wall, taking a quick second to catch my breath. I glanced down again and gasped that the most able-bodied soldier was already halfway up. I huffed, leapt to my feet, and sped off into the brush. 

The wind rushed into my face as I ran. My entire body pulsed in tempo with my rapidly-beating heart. Sharp twigs and thorny branches tore through my jeans and scratched my legs every time I ran too close to a shrub, which was often. And as I ran farther, my chest began to hurt. A lot. My chest tightened and forced my breaths to become more shallow, which was the last thing I needed. 

Then I screamed. 

A particularly sharp thorn had penetrated my calf, all the way up to the branch it stemmed from. I skidded to a halt and plopped down to the ground. I closed my eyes tightly and slowly slid the invasive object out of my leg. But it hurt so bad. I bit my lip, winced, and silently sobbed the entire time I was extracting it, but eventually, I got it out.