Chapter 7

Several minutes later, the door slid down and Jedrek stepped through the entryway, his brutish companion not far behind. The treasure hunter's temple bore a swollen, reddish mark that I hadn't seen when he left, so apparently, their discussion hadn't been confined entirely to the verbal realm. However, both men's faces bore the calmness of a boat after weathering a storm. 

Keira glanced contemptuously at Jedrek, but said nothing. Instead, she closed her eyes, sighed, and accepted a hug from the brawny man. He pulled her close and kissed the top of her head before releasing her and hardening his gaze upon us. 

"I see two questions bubbling up in your minds right now, so I'll clear them up." he declared, "My name's Aaron, and I'm Keira's brother. Run through your names real quick, and then we can cut the 'I have no idea who you are' act." 

So we each introduced ourselves, and as usual, Hannah's amiability earned her an extra dose of friendliness from Aaron. 

"Well, you guys can make yourselves comfortable in the living room. We're gonna have to clean up some rooms for you in the back. Don't break anything." 

"We won't." I assured Aaron as I dropped down onto one of the couches. 

Khemera sat down beside me, while Hannah and Jedrek shared the other couch. While Jedrek pulled his hat over his eyes and took a nap, the rest of us had a long, though inconsequential, conversation. 

******************** 

(Abigail's POV) 

I drummed my fingers on the mahogany desk. Emperor Pietrovo had left an hour and half ago, and I still hadn't got the room he'd promised. I was beginning to wonder if the slimy bastard had made a promise as empty as his skull. 

I wonder what Baird's up to right now. I thought randomly in my boredom. 

I was torn out of my thoughts when the door creaked open again. The Emperor stepped back into the room with a small grin perched on his lips. He now wore his purple royal robes, which made me raise an eyebrow, but I waited for him to speak first. 

"Your room has been prepared, Abby dear, and I've had it furnished with the most lavish accommodations I can offer, besides my own royal bedchambers, of course." he added with a suggestive grin. 

I gave him a blank look. "If you're implying you have a small hope I'll stick around to warm your bed, I pity you. Have a maid do that." 

"That's not what was on my mind at all." he replied as he guided me out the door and into the hallway, "You yourself remember what we discussed earlier. You are off limits to any man, save for Baird Amergin. Don't think I'm an unscrupulous man with selective hearing." 

"Well, that has yet to be disproven, but I'm glad to hear you have at least some semblance of civility. But why then, do you grin at me like that?" 

"Like what?" He raised an eyebrow, genuine confusion crossing his features. 

"Like...you're eyeing a tasty snack. Is it just such a habit of yours you can't help it?" 

The Emperor chuckled. "Perhaps so. Am I too suave for your liking?" 

I bit my lip and nodded at a guardsman who stepped aside so I could pass him. "I'm not too big a fan of 'suave' men, to be honest." 

"Do you care to elaborate?" 

"Not particularly, but I can be civil too. I've experienced my share of men who could put on a show of being a gentleman and all that, but we both know what they really wanted all along."