Chapter 18

(Baird's POV)

After we had flown for an hour, Aaron summoned us all to the cockpit over a ship-wide intercom I'd been entirely unaware of previously. With more or less confusion, we obliged him and hurried up. 

"Hey," he greeted us briefly, "We just left the Kemarian seaboard behind. So we need to make a decision here, guys. We need to decide whether we're gonna fly the rest of the way to Unterstat over land or sea." 

I wrinkled my brow. "Does it really make any difference?" 

"Of course it does, or I wouldn't ask." Aaron chided calmly, "Here's the thing. Flying over land has its advantages, such as higher probability of surviving a crash instead of drowning, quicker replenishing of any supplies and food, you name it." 

"Well, how 'bout we just go over land, then?" Hannah asked. 

"Well, there's a big disadvantage for that, too. We'd be passing over two very antagonistic countries, Alconte Proper, and Klovania, neither of which am I overly confident about. What we need to decide is if the risk is worth the potential reward." 

"I don't see any problem." Jedrek replied slowly, "As long as we don't act like idiots and make ourselves super obvious, there shouldn't be any reason for a standoff." 

Keira narrowed her eyes. "On the other hand, we did give that Redistribution Force of theirs quite a run for their money a couple weeks ago, and I doubt their memory is short enough to have forgotten already." 

Khemera nodded. "Keira's right. We should take the sea route." 

Hannah and I added our agreement to the consensus, for what little it was worth, leaving only Jedrek on his side of the issue, and Sila neutral. So with a shrug, Aaron directed his course to fly over the oceanic waves. 

"I'm gonna take it nice and slow," he announced as he spun the wheel, "because a vessel this big, traveling too fast, could attract some very unwanted attention." 

I smirked and nodded. "I'll bet." 

"So if my calculations are correct, we'll reach our position tomorrow morning sometime. Then we'll have to drop down into the water and travel the rest of the way submerged." 

We all nodded our assent. "Sounds like a plan to me." Keira said, verbalizing the sentiment we all shared. 

With that, Aaron dismissed us. Khemera, Keira, Hannah, and I exited the cockpit to reconvene in the lounge room. We seated ourselves in the four chairs and shifted into whatever posture and position was most comfortable for us. 

I sighed. "Isn't it crazy that tomorrow, we'll be entering Unterstat?" 

Khemera nodded. "Hopefully, yes." he replied vaguely. 

"That is a...wild thought." Keira remarked thoughtfully, "Can't help but feel a bit nervous, though." 

Hannah brightened up and leaned over to pat Keira's shoulder. "Don't be nervous, darlin', it'll be loads of fun!" 

I narrowed my eyes. Something about her taking her optimism this far seemed quite foolish and reckless. "Hannah", I began, "your positivity's refreshing and all, but I advise you not to take it to the realm of imbecility." 

Hannah narrowed her eyes and dropped the grin. "I'm not catchin' your drift." 

"Well, all I mean is that you need to face reality sometimes. Life isn't always fun and games, and acting as if it is, is naive and immature, to put it plainly."