BONUS MATERIAL: Abigail & Baird's First Meeting

A/N: Okay, okay, so let me explain this, not that anybody I'm aware of is complaining. In commemoration of the birthday of the real-life Abigail, turning eight-freakin-teen years old, I've written this little bonus section as a gift. A gift to her, of course, and then more broadly to all you lovely readers. 

So happy birthday, Abigail! Crossing the threshold into true adulthood is...crazy, but I know you'll navigate it like a pro. (Autocorrect wants that to be "bro", but whatever. That too. 😂) Anyway, I'm so blessed to know you, and I hope you enjoy this little bonus chapter/gift thingie I've put together in your honor. 😁🐢 

******************** 

(Abigail's POV)  

With another ham-fisted cliffhanger, the latest episode of the TV show Snowed In came to an end. Some of the dialogue was written a bit clunky, and often the endings held unnecessary suspense, but the show had a heart about it that had me coming back every Wednesday night. And also, the fact every episode took place in only one location seemed to bring out a sort of creativity in the writers to derive the conflict from interesting places. 

Lacy could learn to shut up, though. I remarked to myself. That character had so much uncovered potential. In fact, in the infancy of production, the show runners had considered me as a potential fit for the role, but they'd gone with a wavy-haired brunette instead. Not that I particularly minded, but her interpretation of the character transformed her from a clever smartmouth to a spiteful jerk who couldn't shut up. 

The television began spouting commercials at me, so with a sigh, I switched it off and rose to my feet. Time for dinner. 

I stretched my back as I headed back to the kitchen, where I had some frozen chicken thawing for a fettuccine dinner. After spotting it on the counter, I took a look and nodded. It had softened enough. 

I filled a pot with some water and turned the stove on to boil it. While that warmed up, I headed to the cabinet to grab some pasta, and once the door swung aside, I face-palmed. Of course I'd forgotten to buy it! 

With a huff, I turned the burner off and hurried to my room to slip some shoes on. After a quick stop in the bathroom to straighten my hair and wipe gunk from the corners of my eyes, I headed to the door. I threw my jacket over my shoulders, snatched up my keys, and hurried out. 

I turned my back on my crummy apartment and slipped into the driver's seat of my scarlet sedan. It wasn't anything fancy, but I did keep it washed and polished, so I did take some pride in that. 

A ten-minute drive took me to the grocery on the edge of my favorite shopping center. I swerved into a parking spot with a finesse that impressed even me and disembarked. After I slung my purse over my shoulder, I stepped up onto the curb and hustled toward the doors. 

The automatic doors slid apart, and bright lights greeted me inside. I entered in a hurry. An employee stocking a stand of bananas near the entrance eyed me with friendliness that turned into visible attraction on closer inspection. After awkwardly clearing his throat, he gave me a verbal greeting, which I returned just in time before exiting earshot. 

I craned my neck to eye the various aisles as I passed them. This store's layout confused me. Sure, it was in my favorite shopping center, but I preferred to do the bulk of my food buying elsewhere, where it felt more...personable. As I passed the cereal aisle, I could practically see the machinery behind the boxes, manufacturing human kibble in large quantities.