Not Enough Thyme

✵♥⚘

Bakugo Katsuki was not quite eighteen years old. He was one of the top students in his high school and was on his way to U.A. University. He had big dreams and efficient plans written out. He was on the cusp of adulthood.

He was dying.

The hospital was white. White. White. White. It had a metallic smell which flooded Bakugo's nose the second he was rushed in.

Kaminari, Mitsuki, and Masaru had to wait in an open walled room while Bakugo was whisked away by some not-so-friendly doctors. They wrestled him into a sitting position and even strapped him down. The chair was made of fake leather, which stuck uncomfortably to Katsuki's sweaty body,

A normal physical was done, checking his reflexes and whatever else. Shots were given. Long thick needles penetrated Bakugo's arms. He'd never admit it, but thick needles... they hurt, a lot. The next thing he was shoved into was taking an x-ray. Another shot—one much less painful—was administered. It somehow helped the x-ray become clearer.

Bakugo got to see the end results of the x-ray. It was scary. He could see the thorny branches encircling his lungs as large blossoms brimmed his esophagus.

Was this what love did to people? Who would ever want this?

But fuck it all because love isn't a choice and Bakugo was wasting away, undone by petite flowers created within himself. Pining, hurting, and dying of grief. Dying of un-returned love.

It had finally hit him. He finally understood how big of a situation he was in.

Katsuki had been lying in his hospital bed for two days. Two days, and he'd only seen Kaminari once. The blond had insisted that he take Katsuki to the hospital, somehow managing to shove him in a car. His mother's car, who was more than ecstatic that her plan worked.

But after visiting hours were over, Bakugo never saw Kaminari again. That was, until he heard his name being called through the cracked door.

Denki walked in, taking in his new surroundings. Bakugo probably looked pathetic. Stuck in a hospital gown and laying in a bed. This was not how he wanted to go out. Bakugo had planned to go out with a bang, something showy; probably saving the world. He didn't think he'd slowly weaken and die in a hospital bed, his love only a few feet away, unknowing.

"Your dad said I'd find you here, but I wasn't so sure."

"Tch. Well I can't go anywhere, Sparky. Where else would I be?"

Kaminari's eyes glistened. "They said the operation will take the rest of the day."

Bakugo swallowed, not wanting to meet Kaminari's eyes. He was ashamed. Ashamed that he couldn't be stronger. Maybe if he told the bright blond he'd accept. Katsuki wouldn't have to undergo surgery, his parents wouldn't have to potentially lose a child, and Denki would have to suffer. But Bakugo was a coward.

His friend found a seat next to the door and plopped down. It looked like a cheap plastic chair and Bakugo scowled. What kind of hospital had plastic chairs for visitors? Not the kind that he wanted to entrust his life with.

The two boys made eye contact, "Do you want me to—"

The door burst open, cutting Kaminari off. Big, wide brown eyes locked with Bakugo's red and an ungodly screech filled the room. Before Katsuki could brace himself, he was nearly tackled by a screaming blonde and large female form. Lean arms wrapped around him tightly, and Bakugo's senses were overpowered by the light smell of roses and sea salt. Great.