Nighttime talks -11

The game continues but I'm not feeling it. This party could have been a chance to reconnect with some of my older friends but instead I'm left dwelling on old memories. Silently I walk downstairs and outside. 

The silent night calms me. I notice a presence behind me and I immediately know who it is. The presences used to calm me.

"Hey Rose mind if I stand with you?" Nate says.

I smile at him but do not say anything thing. We stand peacefully in silence. It's a little awkward, but for the most part it's relaxing.

"So how have you been this last couple years?" He asks breaking the silence.

"It was hard at first but lately I've been.... I've been happy. That's the only way to describe it is happy." I say and smile before asking "What about you Nate how has this little town been treating you?"

He laughs and I feel my heart melting a tiny bit. "I've been good. I finished high school with a solid gpa and now I'm working at becoming a doctor.

"That's awesome Nate, I remember you always took the health classes so I'm glad you continued with it."

"You remember that?" Nate asks with a timid smile.

"Yeah I remember everything..." I trail off thinking about when we first met.

Flash back 8th grade (lol idk if this matches up but whatever)

"Come on Lillie we're going to be late!!" Mark yells dragging us behind him.

"Class doesn't start for 15 more minutes ya stupid!" She screams back

We all stop and I take a breather and walk to drinking fountain.

Unfortunately when I get there someone pushes the button wrong so it spills all over me. "Are you serious?" I mumble while looking at my wet shirt.

"OMG I'm so sorry!" A girl stammers. "I was trying to get Rick I'm so sorry!"

"Anna I can't believe you done this!" A boy says. I glare silently at him.

"Oh I'm so sorry my friends don't know how to control themselves. My name is Nate. What's your name?" Another boy says and something about him makes me smile. I just know it's gonna work out fine.

End of flash back

"Yeah..... I'm still really sorry about that day... it was so embarrassing." Nate says breaking me from my dream. He must be a mind reader or something.

I giggle quietly "It was just water it was alright."

He agrees and we stand in peaceful silence for a while. "Rosie can I ask you something?" He waits for my nod then continues, "did us pushing you away help you? I just always feel like I could have done more to help maybe so you didn't run away."

"Nate..." I say turning to him. "It did help eventually. For a while I was really angry but mostly sad that my friends and boyfriend could just throw me away, bur now I understand you were just doing it to help. And although California was hard I wouldn't change it for anything."

Nate smiles at me and grabs my hand intertwining our fingers. Looking up at him I remember what it felt like to be that 8th grader who was desperately in love. I can see myself falling for him again in the future, but I really don't want to because relationships end and people hurt other people.

"Rosie would you want to go," Nate starts shyly before getting interrupted by a screaming Jacklin.

"Jacklin come back...." Mark yells running after her.

"What doing on?" I ask

"Mark doesn't love me anymore." She cries out.

"That's not true Jacklin, I do love you I just think we've come to a place where we can't go farther. I'm sorry." Mark answers sincerely but Jacklin doesn't care she runs off and Mark groans and sits on the grass by me.

"Mark dude What was that?" Nate questions sitting down next to him.

"Well in Truth or Dare Oakley asked how I felt about Jacklin and I said I loved but I didn't see myself going anywhere with her."

At that I slap my forehead and sit down "Mark you should have told her alone not in front of Monica the Biotch. Or anyone that should have been a you and her conversation."

He nods "I know, but I just always get scared when I try to bring it up. I nod hesitantly.

Nate goes to speak "So about what I was saying?" Unfortunately though he is cut off again by an aggressively walking Sylvia with a desperate Rachel running behind her.

"I can't believe that biotch!" Sylvia screams as she sits down. Rachel is still running over her but now I can see a Rick, Anna and Lillie behind her.

"What happens Sylvia?" Nate asks.

"Oakley happened that girl spilled a secret that wasn't hers." At the questioning looks she continues "After you guys left Monica dragged me and Sylvia into the game and asked Oakley about her biggest secret and she spilled yours!"

"Wait whose..." I worriedly question.

"Rosie Oakley told everyone about....." Rachel says before Lillie blurts out

"YOU HAD FOUR KIDS!!"

And with that everything goes silent and my hope for peace goes out the window. I look over and see Nate's confused and heartbroken face. I can't run from this this time I need to talk to them I need to make it right.