Chapter 95

The match was so intense, so backward and forward, so overwhelming that it was massively hard to tell which way the bloody duel would have gone!

But he surprised everyone, having taken down not just all 3 Egyptian Gods and his favourite monster; Dark Magician, Yugi had proved without a doubt, that not only was he the better duellist, but that he was ready to continue on in his life without Atem by his side.

Upon his amazing victory, Yugi struggled to be happy with it, the young man fell to his knees crying, he fought well, but it was at such a cost that had to have been payed a result of his victory.
This was it, Atem had lost, his soul was free to return to the Spirit World.
With his life points now having hit 0, it was time for Yami to say goodbye to all the friends he had made.

Yami made his way to Yugi and congratulated him on his victory, and that he has done what was best for both of them, Atem can now finally rest in peace.

Suddenly the eye on the door began glowing brightly, Atem stood before it, ready.

"You must now speak your name" Ishizu instructed.
"I am the son of King Aknamkanon, my name is Atem" he spoke clearly.

But for some reason, the door did not open.

"What, why isn't the door opening?" Joey asked, confused.
"I...I don't know" Ishizu responded.
"Did we do something wrong?" Atem asked.

Suddenly there was a low rumbling sound, and in the door opened a small panel.

"What's that for?" Ana asked confused.

Atem went straight to it and his eyes widened in surprise.

"Well, it looks like there is one more thing outstanding" Atem said.

He then stepped down and walked towards Ana, he then stood inches in front of her; all while Kaiba was unimpressed by it all.

"Ana, you've done so much for me, in the past and now- but I must ask you one more thing" Atem said and held out his hand.
"I'll try my best" she replied.

Atem smiled and reached a hand out to pull her pendant from her shirt.

"I need this to enter the other world" he explained.
"You do?" she asked, then proceeded to take it off.
"How unusual, I didn't know of this" Ishizu commented.
"I do Ana, there is an inscription in that panel, for you see it's not just my soul that is passing, it is that of my dear wife, Shanti. I want to thank you for keeping her and my name safe all this time" he said.

Ana smiled and handed the locket to him.

"We will all miss you Yami, don't forget us, wherever you are" Ana asked.
"I'll never forget you Ana" he said, then opened his arms to embrace her.

Atem then turned to Kaiba.

"You better take care of her" he warned him and turned away, walking back to the door.

He slotted in the Locket, and then the door slid open.
Yami stood a deep breath, and took a single step, but was stopped by Tristan, Joey and Tea.

"Pharaoh!" they all called out.
"Don't go!" Tea begged.
"So that's how it ends huh, nice, you think you can just show up and change everybody's life, and then just leave?!" Tristan cried and covered his tears.

That one sentence was enough to bring tears to everyone's eyes.

"What Tristan means is, we don't want to say goodbye" Yugi clarified.
"Exactly, Pharaoh, I know walking thought that door means your spirit will finally be free, and it's all for the best, but it doesn't seem fair! I mean, I feel like we were all just getting to know you, and you were getting to know yourself. And now you're being taken away from us! I know we should be happy for you, but it's really hard when you're losing your best friend and you just don't know why!" Tea cried.

Poor Yugi couldn't stop his tears flowing, he was constantly clearing his little eyes.

"Maybe there are some things we aren't meant to understand, but I know that true friends may be hard to leave, but they're impossible to forget. And even though his stay wasn't as long as we would have liked, we're lucky we knew him at all" Joey proudly said.

There was a small pause of silence, and in that moment you could hear sniffles from everyone in the room.

"Hey Pharaoh- I hate to break the terrible news to you, but you're not going anywhere, cause everything you've given us, stays right here in our hearts" Joey said with a big smile.

Atem turned around and had the same smile on his face as he looked upon his friends, once last time.
He then willingly walked through the brightly lit door, and there everyone could see all those who Atem knew in his past life, including his wife Shanti.
Ana managed to catch a glimpse of her, and the two ladies exchanged smiles as the door finally closed.