Ditch Em'

My last period was spent watching an educational video on how to prepare for the APs in the back of the auditorium. All of the seniors were gathered to watch it, but no one was actually paying attention. Besides, how bad can they be? AP Literature didn't seem that difficult.

When I was doing everything in my power to not fall asleep, a cute senior caught my eye and smirked. He put something up to his mouth, popped it in, and winked. It looked like a Xanax, to be honest. I don't think he was taking it for his anxiety. I tapped my foot with restless energy and honestly just wanted this stupid video to be over so I could go home. It was a really tiring day: I showed everyone my weird music on the bus, slipped on an avocado seed, and offended and Australian. I just wanted this day to be over.

He got up from his seat and said to the teacher that he had to go to the bathroom. Instead, he slipped into the empty seat next to me and I looked at him quizzically.

"What's up ma'am?" He said with a laugh. A man that looked as evil as him should not be using polite language.

"...Ma'am?" I asked meekly.

"Well I don't know your name so I figured I'd use my manners." Was he on something? Oh right, he literally was. I don't know why, but his witty humor made him...cuter?

"It's y/n. But ma'am is fine for now." I giggled to myself.

"Alright ma'am, do you know my name?" The boy asked.

"Not exactly." I replied. My eyes went to his beat up leather jacket, with tons of patches and pins. Some said "The Grateful Dead," others said "Tik Tok Embassador." What a strange human.

"It's Chase. Nice to meet ya." He blew the hair out of his eyes and slumped down in his chair.

"Uh, yea." I said, kind of weirded out by this mysterious 'Chase.'

"This assembly is getting pretty boring, don't you think?"

"I guess so. It's only a couple more min--" I saw him reach into his pocket and pull out a packet of what seemed like the pills he had before. They were definitely Xanax.

"You want one?" He asked, smiling innocently.

"I--"

((If you choose to take the pills, skip the next page))

((If you choose to leave, continue reading))

"Sorry, um, I'm good. Drugs aren't really my thing." You quickly got up and left the auditorium, Chase sitting there, unamused.