Addy in Wonderland

I made the decision that I should respect Addy's wishes and kiss her instead. I made eye contact with Chase one last time and rushed over to the girl standing in the middle of the dance floor. I grabbed her face and we kissed, it was passionate and slow, and it made me feel like the room was spinning around me. I could taste her cherry chapstick, I think it was her favorite. She's told me before that cherry is the best flavor ever, and if I ever needed to give her something I knew what to do.

When I broke the kiss, we stared at each other's eyes for a very long time. It felt like forever, but I didn't mind. I drowned in the deep blue specks of her sky blue eyes. I smiled at her and she smiled back. It was a simple moment, but it meant a lot to me. I hope it meant a lot to her too. I let go of her face and dropped my arms to my side. When I looked back over at Chase, he looked almost...disappointed. Somehow, that hurt more than anger. My whole life, it seemed like people have been disappointed in me. It hit hard.

I tried not to start crying. I think Addy saw the wetness in my eyes and suddenly her expression went from the pure euphoria of a slow kiss to the worried look of a friend after a change of face.

"Y/n? Are you okay? You look like you're about to--"

"I'm fine. I'm fine. Just stop." I said, and my tone came off colder than I had wanted it to.

"Oh, okay...Are you sure?" She sounded hurt and backed away a few steps, her hand on her arm.

"I'm sure. I'm sorry. I need to go." I felt a tear slip off of my cheek, and it glistened on the tile of the floor. "I'll see you soon, okay? I'm sorry...I'm sorry..." I said, rubbing my eyes and using my finger to wipe away one last tear.

I pushed through the crowd of people, all staring at my in concern. I finally reached the door where I had been standing with Caleb before and ran through the hallway, passing every picture of Addy. I pushed open the front door and sat on the stone steps in front of her huge house. Looking back, I realized what I missed out on. I missed out on actually talking with Addy, having a conversation with her, and trying to make amends with Chase. Suddenly, a flood of emotions drowned my body. I felt the sobs shake my body and my eyes squeeze shut with every tear. Almost as if I was trying to shut even myself out. My mind seemed to be traveling down a stream, but every twist and turn seemed to lead to a darker and deeper pathway. I felt the wind from falling choke me and I was heaving air from my diaphragm. My eyes blacked out and I fell down the rabbit hole.
((Skip next page))