Chapter Seventeen - The Truth

"I see you are the new survivor," White said, "may I kindly know your name?" he straightened the umbrella towards Carl, but Carl managed to dodge it in time.

Carl then ran behind the pallet, he was silent. Those grey, lifeless eyes stared back at White.

"I suppose you are not that talkative." White gazed around, and lunged the umbrella forward at Carl once again.

  Carl quickly pulled down the pallet, but the blade of the umbrella scratched through his mask the moment he pulled down, his mask was torn into half. Carl was lucky to get away that charged attack with only a small, bleeding slice on his cheek.

  Carl then sprinted towards the ruins, ducking the attacks given by White. He jumped through a windowsill without any doubts, as White followed right behind him deadly.

  "You do like her, right?" White bursted out, though his movement did not stop. "Normally I would love to compete with other competitors," He said, his eyes never leaving Carl's. "But... I would never, ever let anyone snatch anything or anyone away from my precious, little brother!"

  White darted at Carl while siphoning his soul, Carl widened his eyes, he tried to ran away from White by jumping through the windowsill, but later realising that the windowsill was blocked by old, rusty metals.

  He managed to bring the Confined Space huh. Carl thought as he ran through the other direction, but to no avail. When siphoning souls, White's speed would greatly increased. There was no way he could escape.

  Carl staggered back, not knowing where White had gone. He glanced around, he was surrounded by White's clone, completely.

  "Y-you... don't have to do such t-things for your brother, White... that's too over-protective..." Carl whispered softly, his eyes staring at one of the clones.

  Clones were likely to be as same as the activator, though they only swung their weapon once and disappeared. Getting hit by clones would not be hurt, but Carl did not know.

He shield away from left to right, and right to left. But the clones keep appearing, this was pure madness.

  Carl turned around, until he bumped into the real White, but it was too late. White slammed the top of Carl's head and he fell to his knees, terrified.

  "All I wanted, is Black to live happily ever after... Over-protective? I am just trying to help my brother! I am willing to do anything to help my brother to be happy, even if that means I have to kill an innocent..."

Carl tried to stood up, but his legs felt weak. Using the remaining energy that he still had, he kicked on the dirt strenuously, moving backward as far as he could.

  "I see you would like to escape..." White said, being the 'generous one', decided to trample on Carl's right leg, hard.

  Carl snarled in anguish, fresh blood spattered everywhere as far as it could possibly got.

  White bent till he reached Carl's ear, and half-whispered "Here, let me tell you a fact... When I was still a mortal, I actually helped Black to kill and murder those who once brutally treated him..." White chuckled sinfully, before he couldn't held back anymore and laughed out as malicious as he could.

  "Goodbye, fiend."

  Ravens soared around the sky, pitch black feathers fluttered down onto the cipher machine. (Y/n) knew that this was a bad idea, she shouldn't have left Carl behind.

  Someone tapped lightly on her shoulder. "(Y/n) worry not, I will save him!" It's Martha, and they were decoding the last cipher machine together.

  To be honest, (Y/n) thought that it was like a miracle that Carl had been impeding the hunter for such long period, not to mention when they saw Carl protected (Y/n).

  This match was now on her hands, and she might be the one to turn the table. Naib was out from the match already, and Martha has been tied once,and Carl used up his skill to embalm Martha to rescue her.

Carl had been rescued from the chair, and Martha somehow managed to bear a hit from him in order to strive some time for Carl to flee.

But Carl was hunted down once again, this was the second time he was tied to the rocket chair.

"Martha! Are you... alright?" (Y/n) saw Martha darting towards her, she was badly wounded. Legs and arms had obvious scratches, and her cheek was bleeding.

  "Gosh, Martha let me heal you first!" (Y/n) stopped on decoding the cipher machine, and started healing Martha. Unlike the usual Martha, she was silent as dead, her eyes stared hard at the barren ground.

  Despite the blood splattering everywhere, Martha bursted out a softly spoken "I am sorry.", as her eyes began to water.

  "Martha, it's alright. It's just a match after all, " (Y/n) was relived, at least her best friend was still alive. She was not alone, not now.

  It's just a match. She thought, Carl wouldn't be killed, but was this the truth? Her sixth sense told her that the more matches they had, the less they knew more about themselves.

  Their nationality, their age, their name, their identities. Even sometimes (Y/n) would heard hunters murmuring about their own name and identities, even their past. But it's all scattered pieces, so she wouldn't know what they were trying to express.

  Now came to think of it, memories were being wiped to dust bit by bit, who was she? Why did she came here? Most importantly, who, was (Y/n)?

  "(Y/n)? (Y/n)! Snap out of it!" Martha half-yelled at (Y/n), as the girl jumped a bit. Martha held (Y/n)'s shoulder, shaking slightly. "You have been thinking about something lately... What is it that is bothering you?"

  "No... it's fine...let's just decode the last cipher machine..." (Y/n) said, and started decoding again.

  I will save Carl once again then?"

  "Well... It's the only option now... but please do be quick, before the time run out completely."

  "Right." Was all Martha said, before heading towards her left, where Carl was tied.

  "Tch... you know I will tell (Y/n) about what you told me earl-" Carl muttered, but was cut off instantly as he could feel the pressure being tightened on his neck.

  White's left hand held Carl's neck firmly, firm enough for him to strangle Carl at any moment.

  "If you dare tell her one word about me... I surely would love to lock you up in my basement. There's no one that could hear you... no matter how loud you bellow in pain..."

  ...