Chapter Seventeen(Bonus) - A Ray of Hope

What did you wish your final words to be? What really matters was that: what you said and how you said. The end of the journey of our life were always the same, no one dares to change a fact.

  Carl gripped the handle of his grey suitcase tightly, no body dares to touch it.
Someone thought that it was possessed by evil spirits, while the others thought that it was blessed by the God.

  After Carl's mother passed away, Carl became an orphan. Later, he was adopted by an embalmer. Perhaps his mother's death has shaded a psychological shadow deep in little Carl's mind, or that was his own nature.

Carl suffered from Autism at a young age, his adoptive father sent him to school, but Carl was unable to communicate with others due to the disease, and eventually he could only drop out of school.

The adoptive father began to train Carl's social ability, as Carl could not continue studying in school, his father hoped that he could at least inherit his own experience by teaching little Carl of how to embalm.

The father immediately took Carl to his place of work, and taught him how to persuade the "dead" to accept their own death – but it was obvious that they were not dead, but were deceived to accept their own death.

Carl might have been confused, but decided to listen to his father's words anyways.

The older Carl became, the more loner he became. He liked to get along with the dead, and Autism gradually develops into social fear.

  However, his connection with the outside world has not been completely broken. There was one single woman who had been writing with him.

  The woman told Carl that she was like another guardian to him, their relationship became bonded at once.

  She wrote to Carl that she was preparing to discuss something important with him in the Rose Garden.

  The day Carl communicated with her, he told some facts about his adoptive father. Somehow, the news of what his father had done came like a bolt out of blue, but no one ever knew what it was. The woman was later murdered by Carl's father who followed his beloved son to the rose garden.

  The body later became an unidentified corpse under the means of the administrator and the adoptive father. For the first time, Carl felt fear crawling on his back. Carl was frightened of his father's act of public murder.

  The adoptive father then used the previous theory to tell Carl: Everyone has to die someday, all he did is to provide some help for them. The father then buried the body in the yellow rose bush in a funeral manner and continued his normal life with Carl.

  After experiencing these things, Carl regarded what the adoptive father said as an absolutely correct truth, that everyone had to experience death eventually, all embalmers did was to provide some 'help'.

  Somehow shortly after this incident, the adoptive father received an invitation from a manor and left the house. Aesop vaguely felt that the adoptive father would never come back again. He did not expect the intuition to be correct.

  Jerry • Carl was seriously injured. When Carl saw the adoptive father again, his father had fallen into a serious coma in bed because of the excessive injury, which requires long-term care.

  As if fate was watching all along, Carl found an invitation with a letter in one of the female corpse when he was in his daily work progress.

  Right at this moment, Carl's sense of morality has changed completely from average people. In his own point of view, instead of the end of a life, death is only a process to him.

  Carl seemed to prefer his father's current physical condition as the last dilemma his father left for Carl — to take care of his father's condition in order to prove that he was worth being an embalmer.

  Therefore, he picked up his father from the hospital and embalmed him with the accurate process and steps. Lastly by granting his father a proper funeral, Carl killed his father.

  Carl personally cut off the last connection between himself and the living, becoming the "apprentice of Death" himself.

  He was invited to the manor, not for rewards or other reasons, but to embalm other people who were still confused of their life. As for what was written in the letter, no one would ever knew expect himself.

  That was his past, until he met the girl. The girl he once thought that she would be the perfect corpse. He befriended the girl as he thought the girl would be his first target, his first collection. But it wasn't possible for Carl to achieve embalming the girl. He then realised, he fell deeply in love with the girl.

  Carl was timid towards the living, but there was that one single girl that could make him felt the tension left his body once Carl was around the her.

  He hit the celling whenever other male living was around her, his heart mustered as hard as it could. They never knew how much Carl wanted to embalm the males into his collection every time they were near the girl, but Carl managed to backlash himself every time.

  Time passed, Carl tried to confess his feelings to the girl, but was stopped by two madly insane brothers who were in love with the girl too. Hatred snarled deeply in his heart, but he knew, he didn't even stand a chance against them.

  He gave up, and went back to his dull and dark life. Once again, he began searching for living that were confused for their life. In that one match, he found it.

  Those light hydra eyes reflecting the past it self, white pale skin with a light caramel coloured ribbon tied in a neat, short milky ponytail.

  Carl found out that hunter was very, very interesting. He could not sense any scent of a living, but instead the hunter was filled with blood and a rotten corpse's smell.

  He knew it was forbidden to interact with a hunter, but he broke the rule. Carl knocked on the door with a gold plate sealed during one of his break. Since that day, he became 'friends' with this unique photographer.

  They both discuss about themselves over a serval cups of tea, their pass, their hobbies, their family. This was the second time in Carl's life which he had ever felt the tension disappeared when facing with the photographer.

  Carl knew, this was his only and last chance, and he was never going to let him go. Never.

  "Joesph, will you be my soulmate?"

"..."

"..."

"Yes...! It is my pleasure..."

  ...