Chapter 8

CHACE

My mind was still swirling from before, i felt like my life was going to end. I couldnt even figure out a way to make things right, how do you recover from the death of a child whose life hadn't even begun yet? What the fuck do you do when you the cause of that shit? I closed my eyes sitting back on the bench thinking my head was pounding thinking of all the scenrios that could happen from this situation. I could tell TK and let him decide what he wanted to do with me, i could turn myself in, i could sit back and do nothing snd watch Niecy's marriage and family fall apart or i could do everything in my power to just move on. The hardest part was not knowing a fucking thing.

"Uhm..." i heard a familiar female voice say. I opened my eyes to see Kayla standing there holding Cameron's hand. She stared at me not saying a word at first and neither did i. " You okay?" She asked looking somewhat concerned.

"Nah not really.." i said sitting back up, i couldnt even look at Cameron knowing that just yesterday i confessed to wanting to kill him. Kayla plopped down sitting him next to her, she pulled his tablet and headphones out her purse and set it up for him before turning her attention back to me. For some reason i felt like i could open up to her despite our feuds over the last day or so.

" It looks like you need a friend..what happened Chace" she said placing a hand on my shoulder, how could a woman that i swore i hated make me feel so complete right now, i couldnt answer it at the moment and i probably never could.

I explained to her the situation without most of the details being added that i killed my friend's daughter. Instead i replaced it with the guilt of not being there for neither of them at the time, the pain he felt was something a nigga like me would probably never go through. The devil knows that if one of my kids were to die at the hand of another nigga off the street i would lose my life in more than one way. Through it all Kayla sat there not judging me and not saying a word, letting me talk and pour my thoughts out to her, and for the first time i felt something way different.

KAYLA

I rubbed Chace's back listening to everything he needed to let out. I can't tell you why i felt compelled to come up to him, maybe it was fate i just dont know. All i knew now was that i didnt regret any of it, coming here for Cam, seeing Chace vulnerable reminded me that he was just a man with a past like everyone else.

Although i swore to myself that i hated this man's guts after what he did to Cam i couldnt help but feel empathy at this time. My mother had taught me that just listening could make a person feel alot better and not judging them while they pour out their feelings to you only made someone more fond of you and i was beginning to see it. Through the outter layer of asshole he had feelings, he cared about stuff, hut it was something way deeper than i could ever know that had caused him to retreat into this shell of anger or whatever you wanted to call it.

I was so lost in listening that i realized there was nothing to listen to as we sat in silence. He finally lifted his head looking at me.

"Aye i know we got off on the wrong foot but i just wanna apologize for it alright some anger from the past came up and i just acted on it and i know how i treated Cam was wrong and i just want another chance so maybe we can just go out for dinner or something one of these days" he said making complete eye contct and all i could think was Damn this man was FINE when he knew how to act!

" Yea that's fine" i said shyly looking over at Cam who was focused on his tablet. "Listen imma get him home he has an appt with his therapist so i'll write my number down for you" i said getting a napkin out my purse i quickly wrote my number down handing it to him. He took it smirking as i got up.

"Nice talk" he said putting it in his pocket standing up and there was that feeling again pushing me to do something else. Without warning i hugged him as tight as i could before picking up Cam and rushing away i don't know what was happening but i couldnt tell if i liked it or hated it.