Chapter 3 {DANIELLE}

DANIELLE

DANIELLE

After five years, here I finally was, in the presence of the guy I love.  I thought I was going insane when I saw Nate, but when he said my name, I just kind of crumbled.  The tone of his voice was so weak and so desperate and it made me feel awful.  I never wanted to leave him, or anyone at that.  It just felt like something I needed to do. 

We currently sat on the couch in this small apartment that supposedly belonged to Nate.  Neither had said much at all.  I don't really think we really knew what exactly to even say. 

I thought for a moment before I finally decided to break the silence and say the first thing on my mind. 

"So you got the note?" I questioned, referring to the one I left in the tree house before I left. 

"Of course."  He admitted as he reached into his pocket.  "The tree house was the first place I looked for you at." 

I watched as he pulled out a crumbled up piece of paper, which I immediately identified as the note.  He kept it all these years?  Even carries it on him?

"You kept it?" Was all I managed to choke out. 

"I read it all the time, if I'm being truthful."  He stated as he scanned over it with his eyes.

The room was once again filled with silence.  It was late and I was beyond exhausted, but I didn't really want to go home and part with Nate so soon.  I was going to tough it out. 

I looked up at Nate and began to examine his face.  It wasn't as clean shaven as it was before I left.  Little stubbles were growing around his mouth, giving him an exhausted sort of look.  I didn't like it on him.  Nate's not suppose to be an exhausted or tired of life person.  He's supposed to be filled with life and energy and is constantly ready for the next big thing life throws at him.  This look did not suit him.  But then again, I guess five years is a long time for someone to grow and change. 

From the looks of it, these past five years haven't been kind to Nate.  They've been anything but.  I noticed a small scar on the top of his cheekbone that was never there before.  I wonder how he got it? 

"Why'd you do it?"  Nate spoke abruptly, taking me by shock.  "Why'd you leave?" 

I then took note of the tears welding up in his eyes.  It saddened me to see him like this. 

"I felt like I had to."  I admitted sheepishly, tears fogging my vision.  God, now we were both crying.  "I was afraid and lost and I needed to find myself I guess.  It was in impulsive decision, not an easy one.  I never wanted to hurt anyone and I definitely never wanted to abandon anyone, it just kind of happened.  After I left I started panic and I wanted to come back, I really did, I just wasn't ready.  I wasn't ready to be found yet." 

I referred to the note I wrote before I left with my last sentence. 

"Are you ready now?"  Nate asked, looking me in the eyes. 

"I don't know."  Was all I could say before I started sobbing. 

I really wasn't sure if I was ready.  I've spent the last five years hiding from a man who's in jail, and now that he's out, Nate find me.  I've been petrified the last month, and my nightmares have gotten worse.  I get paranoid just walking down the street and I see Johnnys face in people that look nothing like him. 

I think the truth is that whether I'm ready to be found or not, I needed to be.  This isn't something I can get through on my own, no matter how hard I try.  I needed Nate and my mom and Sam and Amanda.  I needed my family. 

"Come here."  Nate cooed as he pulled me into him, wrapping me in a warm embrace. 

As I cried into Nate's shoulder, our bodies melted together.  I missed his warmth.  Shivers traveled down my spine as he began to run his fingers through my hair.  I loved when he did that. 

"I'm sorry."  I apologized in a whisper as I attempted to pull myself back together. 

We remained in that position for what felt hours; neither of us saying anything as we hugged each other and I cried into his shoulder. 

"Do you wanna stay?" Nate randomly asked as he continued to stroke my hair. 

I was so glad he asked, I really didn't want to go home.  I wanted to stay here with him forever.  Obviously it was only an invitation for the night, but I wanted so much more.  Living on my own has been hell. 

"Please." I accepted his offer as we let go of our embrace and Nate stood up. 

"You can take the bed, I'll be fine on the couch."  He explained as he motioned for me to follow him to the bedroom. 

The room was painted white and his bedsheets were a royal blue color.  It was pretty messy, with clothes thrown in every which direction. 

"Sorry about the mess..." Nate apologized awkwardly as he scooped a stack of dirty laundry off the bed and threw them on the floor.  "I'm the only one who's ever really been in here, other than Joe the pizza guy like once." 

I shot him an awkward laugh as I stared at the ground.  "Don't worry about it." 

"Do you want anything to change into?" He offered. 

"That's okay."  I declined, not wanting to trouble him.  I was fine in my leggings and T-shirt anyways. 

Nate awkwardly stood in the doorway the doorway, tapping his foot on the ground as he bit his cheek.  Things felt so awkward now that we've been apart for so long and I really don't like it. 

"Well, I'll let you get some rest then."  He stayed as he slowly backed out of the room.  "Goodnight." 

I really didn't want him to sleep on the couch, I wanted him to sleep in the bed with me.  Just as he had the door almost closed, I quickly spoke up. 

"Wait," I called out, making Nate stop.  I mentally punched myself for how stupid I was about to sound.  "Will you stay with me?"

~~~~~

Hey everyone!  Nothing really happens in this chapter, I'm sorryyyyyyy

Hey everyone! Nothing really happens in this chapter, I'm sorryyyyyyy. I felt like them talking about everything would seem forced, so I think I'll just gradually throw it in. I also will not be able to update for about a week since I'll be on vacation, so I'm sorry for that as well.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter though, feel free to leave a comment/vote if you did. Have a great day and thank you for reading❤️❤️