Chapter 28- Goodbye

I freeze in my spot, not even sure what to do. Mrs. Caister is unconscious, but she looks like she is alright none the less. 

"Stop this Kye." I demand.

"Come back inside and I will let her go. I told you before, if you didn't come willingly I would have to hurt the ones around you. You know I will hurt her without even blinking." He says.

He's desperate now, I can tell. His eyes aren't sane any more, and maybe I can use that to my advantage. Going inside the house would mean leaving the safety of the sunlight behind. But maybe I can talk him into letting her go.

"Please Kye don't do this. She has nothing to do with us. Just let her go and we can talk about this." I beg him.

"No! No more talking! Come here now or I'll kill her!" I can feel his anguish through our bond. He really is ready to do anything to get me over the door.

"Kye..."

He sinks his fangs into her neck, causing her body to jerk before relaxing again. I scream, rushing forward only to stop before reaching the door.

His eyes plead to me, begging me to step over the mantle and into his arms. I don't go there, even though he has his teeth in Mrs. Caister's neck. Judging by the calm look on her face, he isn't actually drinking from her. All he wants is a reaction from me, not to hurt her.

"You don't want to hurt her Kye, I know you don't. You're not a bad person. Please just let her go." I beg once again.

This time I seem to have a hold on him. His lips pull back from her neck and he slowly let's her slide to the ground safely. She scrambles to her feet, conscious again, and runs over to me.

"It's okay," I assure her, "Just go find the others. They will protect you."

She doesn't have to be told twice. In an instant she is off the porch and running towards the street and the others. When I am certain she is safely away I turn back to Kye. He sits on his knees, head in his hands in shame.

"What has become of me Kat?" He sobs.

"I don't understand." I say softly.

"I followed my heart. I did everything I could to make you understand. Why don't you love me back? Why don't you understand my love?"

I can't do anything but stare at him. Of course I understand that he loves me. No one would go through so much trouble unless they had very deep feelings for someone. But no matter how true his feelings, I couldn't give up my life this early. I didn't fight so hard, lose so much, and hurt so many just to give in in the end.

"I'm sorry..." I whisper.

"Please, tell me what I have to do. Just tell me how I can convince you to stay with me. I'll do anything you want. Just please stay with me." He begs.

He is so vulnerable right now I almost reach out to him. I stop myself before I do, reminding myself how unstable he was at the moment.

"Look..." I start.

He reaches out for me suddenly, his eyes wide and pleading.

As soon as his hands leave the shade of the doorway the sun bathes them, causing smoke to erupt from his skin. He whimpers in pain, but doesn't pull his hands back. They touch my cheeks, the cold skin of his hand flaming from the sun.

Gasping, I grab his hands in mine and try to shield them from the sun. The skin heals, but his eyes still look pained.

"Please." He whispers.

He doesn't try to pull me back in, even though with my hand in his he easily could. He wants it to be my choice to go to him.

"Look," I tell him, "I do understand your feelings. And in a way, I feel the same way."

His eyes widen with hope.

"But... I'm not ready to give up my life yet. Being human is all I know how to do. In time I'm sure I will change my mind, and I will come back to you. But until then you have to give me my time to live the rest of my life. Once I'm done doing the things I want to do, I'll come back here for you." I tell him, pushing his hands back into the safety of the shade.

"You promise?" His lips pouts slightly.

"I promise." I say, giving his hands a reassuring squeeze.

"Then," He says looking away from me, "Enjoy your life. I hope that by time you choose to return to me I will have made this place to your liking. I will do what ever I can to make living here more comfortable for the two of us."

"Thank you." I smile.

In his hands an icy rose materializes. A tears falls from his cheek, splattering onto the rose in little ice droplets. He holds it out for me to take, carefully positioning it so that his hands don't come into the sunlight.

"I will miss you every moment until you come back." He whispers.

"I know, but, I mean, it's not like we're actually going to be that far apart. It's kind of hard to run away from a bond." I say shakily.

This seems to fill him with some hope.

I suppose you are right, his voice says, I will always be with you if you need me. 

I lean in and give him one final kiss goodbye. He wants it to last longer, I know he does, but I have to go before I become to wrapped up in him to leave. A kiss on the cheek is the last thing I do before pulling away for good.

The path before me stretches out, the possibilities for my future as long as the road ahead. I don't look back at the house. It is a memory I will abandoned until the time is right. And when that time comes I will return for Kye.

But until then my life is what I choose to make of it.

As I walk away, a stream of words touch my mind for the last time, sent on a wave through my connection with Kye.

I love you Katherine and I will wait an eternity if it means getting to hold you in my arms as mine. Know that I will do everything that I can to make your life as easy and enjoyable as possible. His voice echos in my mind.

I smile and continue on my way, knowing that the future is a long and strange one, and craving every bit of it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys I only have one more thing I am going to post after this and that is going to be a note from me about information about the second book and a quick thanks to all of you. Hope you all enjoyed the first book in the Fire and Ice series :)