Chapter 3: Just Like Old Times

"Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be." Ladybug said, releasing the white butterfly. "You're a pretty good partner to have in a fight, Adrian."

"Thanks," said Adrian, helping the dazed Weather Wizard – now just plain old Walter Weatherby to his feet. "I guess it comes from hanging out with Chat Noir."

"You know Chat?" Ladybug said, interested.

"Oh yeah," Adrian waved a hand as if it was no big deal. "We're so close sometimes it's like we're the same person." Because we are, he thought to himself.

"So where has he been for the past five years?" Ladybug demanded. "I haven't seen him since-"

She turned away, unable to say the words.

"He...needed a break." Adrian said quietly. From the rigors of being a superhero, he thought, the stress of living in his father's suffocating shadow, from...Ladybug and the power she held over his heart.

Even now, despite the time spent apart, he could feel the old rush of attraction as she stood, hands on the hips of her red and black costume, a familiar frown on her face as she digested Adrian's information. Her hands fisted on her hips before she released them, kicking at a small pebble in irritation.

"Stupid Kitty," she muttered, "just had to leave without telling me-" She sighed and focused on Adrian. "Anyway, thanks for your help. I might call you again since it seems Chat isn't as reliable as he used to be."

Her lips quivered upwards at an attempt to smile. Was it Adrian's imagination or was she struggling to hold back tears? He was so focused on her eyes he almost missed her next question.

"Can I give you a ride home?"

It was tempting, Adrian thought. It had been a long time since he had gone soaring through the city of Paris in Ladybug's arms, but...would he be able to restrain himself?

"Thanks, but I'll have to take a raincheck," he answered regretfully. "Perhaps some other time." After I've had a cold shower. He thought privately.

"Of course," Ladybug said with sympathy. "You've had a long day, you probably want to get home and rest." She started to go, then turned back. "Hey, since Chat isn't here..." She held out her fist. "Pound it?"

A wave of nostalgia hit Adrian as he stared at her offered fist. How many times had the completed this ritual after every battle? How many times had he bumped his knuckles against hers in celebration, looked up into those eyes twinkling at him from behind the spotted red and black mask and wondered about the face beneath it? He raised his fist to bump hers, then lowered it with a shake of his head. This was a Ladybug and Chat Noir tradition, not Adrian and Ladybug's.

"Save it for Chat." He said with a smile. And when Ladybug looked skeptical, he added, "don't worry, I'm sure he had a reason for leaving early. He'll be here next time."

He held out his hand to shake instead, and after a moment Ladybug took it.

"Well Adrian, once again, thanks for your help." She unhooked yo-yo from her belt and threw it with the fluid grace of daily practice. "If you see Chat, let him know I was looking for him." She hesitated, then added. "And speaking of mutual friends, his friend Marinette has been looking for him for the last five years."

...

Hawkmoth felt old.

It wasn't just that he was ten years older than from the time he had started his villainous career. Or that he had found another grey hair hiding near his temple and new wrinkles around his eyes.

His chest still ached from the heart attack his doctor had warned him would come if he kept up his overly stressful work life as Gabriel Agreste. The breath that rattled through his rubs burned like fire and his limbs felt leaden as he walked to the balcony and looked out over the city, aware once again of how alone he was now without his faithful Natalie by his side.

Well, what had he expected? For her to stay forever, like an obedient and loyal lapdog? She had begged for him to give up the work, for him to start a life that didn't revolve around capturing the Miraculous and he had refused. She had turned in her resignation a day later and walked out the door.

Gabriel sighed, leaning on the railing. Despite the numerous akuma attacks he had directed at the streets below, he loved Paris. This was the place where he had come to study fashion, to make his mark in the industry. This was where he had met and married his wife Emile, where they had raised their son before...the accident.

Gabriel coughed and winced at the consequential sharp pain in his chest.

He thought he'd have more time to finish his Ultimate Task. To wake up his sleeping wife with the combined Miraculous.

The doctor had warned him what would happen if he kept up his overly rigorous pace. Another heart attack, and this time, the chances of him waking up would be minimal.

This was why he had called Adrian home. He wanted his son by his side, as a shoulder to lean on, a means of comfort and – if his days were really numbered, he wanted to spend what precious time he had left in his company.

But more importantly, if Hawkmoth could not manage to finish his Ultimate Task, maybe it was time to bring Adrian into the other family business. Gabriel closed his eyes, smiled in quiet satisfaction. One way or another, he would attain the Miraculous and join the two pieces together. And he would see his beloved Emile one last time before he died.

Hello readers, it's me!

Technically since it's 1:30 AM this update is on Tuesday, but hopefully this chapter is fun enough that you'll forgive me. (And just in case you can't...I'll just hide behind this shield.) 

I just want to say again in case this chapter is confusing, this story is TEN YEARS in the future of our beloved Miraculous show, but FIVE YEARS ago, something very interesting happened that caused Chat to leave in the first place. Can anyone guess what it is? ;) No, I won't reveal what it is yet, but keep reading!

P.S. Who is going to kiss next?

A.  Ladrian

B. Lady Noir

C. Adrienette

D. MariChat

See you next week!!

Your Authoress, Cantrella <3