Chapter 8: Playtime is Over!

The Akuma Alert blared outside the café, startling diners out of their sleepy breakfast routine. A second later, Playtime's large, china arm smashed through the large glass window; changing the tone from sleepy confusion to instant panic. People tried to flee, heading for the exits, the back of the restaurant, anywhere that was far away from the giant hand reaching for its next victim.

One waitress was caught in the clutching fingers of the china doll, and she screamed until she was turned into a toy horn that was examined for a second, then tossed carelessly aside.

"Marinette, look out!" Marinette had gotten to her feet, prepared to run to the aid of the unfortunate waitress, when she was suddenly tackled to the ground. A second china arm had come crashing through the window, barely missing her and her rescuer, showering them both with glass. Instinctively she tucked and rolled, coming up in a crouch under a nearby table.

"Are you okay?" Adrian asked, brushing glass out of her hair. "That was a close call."

"Y-Yes." Marinette stammered as Adrian shook glass off his jacket. His face was set in hard, determined lines and yet he seemed calm, as if he'd been in situations like this a hundred times before. What had life in America been like for him?

"Marinette, I have something to tell you and this might come as a bit of a shock." Adrian blurted out. "I'm-" He checked his inside coat pocket and swore.

"What? What's wrong? Do you have something that can help us?" Marinette asked hopefully.

Mask or no mask, there were people in danger and she would do what she could to take down the akuma, but any advantage would be useful at a time like this.

"I thought I did, but I forgot that he asked for the day off." Adrian muttered, irritated.

"What do you mean?" Marinette asked, confused.

"Nothing. Sorry. But we still have to get these people out of here." Adrian stated, echoing Marinette's thoughts as a little girl was turned into a colorful pinwheel.

He looked around, seizing up the situation. Both exits were jampacked with screaming customers, the surge of so many people creating a bottleneck that hampered a quick escape. He wished he had access to his Cataclysm, he could've used it to make a bigger exit in the wall. Playtime was taking advantage of the confusion, turning trapped citizens into toys, right and left.

"I'll distract Playtime," Adrian decided, "you try and get people out through another door."

"No way," Marinette protested, "what happens if you get turned into a toy?"

"It wouldn't be the first time someone has called me a doll," Adrian answered, flashing a smile. Marinette stared at him as Adrian scanned the room. Had he just made a joke? Adrian didn't notice, he was looking for anything they could use to their advantage. His pulse tripped as he caught a flash of red in the crowd, but it was just a life-sized wind-up toy.

"I wish Chat was here, he would be a lot of help." Marinette said, then caught Adrian staring at her in surprise. "A-and Ladybug of course," she stammered. "I wish she was here too."

"She is incredible," Adrian agreed, and Marinette felt her cheeks warm. "But looks like we'll have to deal with these people until they get here."

"You're not distracting Playtime while I get everyone out." Marinette stated.

"I'm the model though, remember? I'm great at attracting attention." Adrian said with a wink. Marinette felt her irritation rise. He was just like Chat, always making light of the situation.