Chapter 7 : Wedding Plans

"Marinette! Earth to Marinette!"

Marinette blinked sleepy blue eyes, focusing on the face of Alya , her best friend and confidant of ten years. She was sitting at her usual table at Espresso Yo' Self, the trendy coffee shop Alya worked at as Assistant Manager. It was part of her daily routine to drop by for breakfast and a chat before heading to her job at Femme Boutique, where Marinette worked as a seamstress.

"Sorry Alya," Marinette yawned, "I didn't get much sleep last night." She took a giant gulp of coffee in an attempt to revive herself and gagged, nearly spitting her mouthful on the new two-piece floral suit that she had designed herself.

"Yeah, I figured as much when you poured salt in your coffee instead of sugar." Alya chuckled, handed her a napkin.

"You knew? And you didn't stop me?" Marinette protested.

"I tried to, but you were off in Dreamland." Alya said, taking Marinette's ruined cup of coffee. "Try our new Caramel Chocolate Muffin, I'll get you a refill."

"Wait," Marinette grabbed for her purse. "Let me pay for it."

"Relax, girl." Alya winked, "It's on the house. Consider it a perk for knowing the newest Manager." She pointed proudly at her shiny new nametag.

"You got the promotion? Congrats!" Marinette said, standing up to give Alya a hug. "You totally deserve it."

"Hey, the owner knows star quality when he see's it." Alya smiled, before giving Marinette a stern look. "Unlike someone else's boss who wouldn't know star quality if it walked in and turned their business into a success."

Marinette folded her arms defensively.

"Miss Simmons needs me as an assistant. She'll promote me when she can afford to pay me better."

"And in the meantime you work yourself to the bone for a fraction of what you should be paid." Alya scolded. "Girl, if I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. You're too nice. You need to start saying no."

Marinette sighed, taking a seat. They'd had this argument before. She knew Alya meant well, but not everyone could have the perfect job. A wicked idea occurred to her.

"You're right, I should." Marinette said, sounding as agreeable as possible. Alya raised an eyebrow, not convinced. Marinette played with the wrapper of her muffin, trying to keep her face calm. "I'll go quit and start looking for a job elsewhere. Of course, that means I won't have time to finish a certain someone's wedding dress..."

"Come on girl, you know that's not the same thing, I'm paying for all the material!" Alya protested. Marinette shrugged.

"Gotta start somewhere, and you did say I should start saying no to projects that don't pay me enough. ..." She took a bite of her muffin, trying to look as innocent as possible. She burst out laughing at the look of horror on Alya's face.

"I'm kidding Alya, relax, I'm going to finish your dress. In fact, it's almost done."

Alya blew out a sigh of relief, looking peeved.

"Girl, do not make jokes like that three weeks before the wedding. I wouldn't even know where to get a dress on such short notice."

"Most people go to a store." Marinette teased.

"You want a new coffee or not?" Alya asked in a mock threatening tone. Marinette held up her hands in surrender.

"You got me, truce!" She laughed. "I'll take another Venti Mocha-"