15

Kaleb

Kaleb

Shootouts are my least favourite way to end a game. Especially after we played a good-turned-shitty game. We blew a five goal lead in the third period, which led to overtime. Blaming the loss on other teammates is the route I want to take, but that would make me a petty fuck. Shea and I are also to blame. Our usual synchronization was off. Whenever he passed the puck to me, I would either be too far behind or too far ahead. Or I'd fumble with it. Shea's usual speed was off tonight, too.

The mood in the locker room isn't much better than mine. It feels heavy. Losing against the Boston Bruins in a shootout is painful. I can feel the sting resonating through my gut. After playing against Boston with the Canadiens and now the Canucks, the sting feels worse. The hatred that radiates through both arenas is inevitable. As hockey players, that hatred is supposed to fuel us in beneficial ways.

Yeah, this loss hurts.

But at least I have something to look forward to: our engagement party. Our game was early and we have the day off tomorrow. It's the perfect night to get shit-faced with my friends while celebrating our engagement. Yesterday, Mel and I spent hours prepping appetizers and getting the house ready. This party is for the hockey team. Closer to the spring, Mel and I will have a little get together with our close friends and family.

To my right, Shea nudges me. "Anything you want me to bring tonight?"

I press my back against the padded wall, crossing my arms and expelling a heavy sigh. "Aside from your own alcohol? Nothing. Just yourselves." I glance at his jeans. They're splattered with a soft yellow paint. "And maybe some clothes that aren't covered in paint."

As he looks away, his lips curve into a toothless smile. There's a faint pattern of blush across his cheeks. However, I can feel the self-doubt radiating from him. See it in the way he leans over and rests his elbows on his knees. In the way he rubs the back of his neck with both hands.

"Shea," I say, clapping him on the shoulder. I give it a shake. "Stop that. You're gonna be fine, man. You're not your father. That is something I can say with confidence. And if my word isn't enough, ask Brenna or Ella. Call Jayden or Tucker."

Mel would say the same, despite not knowing what Shea's father was like. Which is why I don't mention her name. I'm not devaluing my fiancee's opinion or the power of her voice. What I'm basing this off of is experience. The people I listed experienced the behaviour of Shea's dad.

Shea's dad is an asshole. All I can remember are the harsh words he would inflict upon Shea after games. The minimal amount of games he went to. I also remember him verbally abusing Brenna after the wedding. That was the first time I've seen Shea physically retaliate against his father, but not the first time I've seen him break down.

Brenna and I had to talk Shea down after the incident. He was an emotional mess, stating he was like his father. I disagreed with him. Shea's dad needed a reset. He needed to understand Shea isn't a child anymore. Shea controls his life, and the decisions he makes no longer need external opinions.