12

Melody

Melody

"It's about time!" Ella exclaims.

She's holding my left hand, and Brenna is beside her. They're both gazing at the engagement ring on my finger. Abbey hasn't arrived yet, so I know this won't be the last time they're swooning over the ring.

Flashing the ring again brings a smile to my face. While it's simplistic and suits my style, all I want to do is flaunt it. Which seems out of character for me. But how can a girl not be excited? Kal proposed. We're getting married in the summer. I can picture us standing on the beach with a sunset in the background. It'll be a small wedding, with only our closest family and friends. Nothing like Brenna and Shea's wedding was. While their wedding was a blast, I have no desire to have such an extravagant party.

Still, the thought of a wedding excites me. Giddiness spreads through my bones. Kal and I have been dating since we were nineteen. And while I don't believe marriage solidifies anything (if you're in love, you're in love), it represents how deep our love goes. We're willing to commit to each other's lives. Forever. Feeling the weight of the ring makes my heart and chest feel warm.

I take a sip of my gin and tonic, listening to the ice cubes clink against the glass. Kal and Shea are on a three-day road trip, so I invited Brenna, Ella, and Abbey over for a welcome party and to watch the game. Unless I'm working, I try to never miss one of Kal's games. Not just because he plays for the team, but also because hockey is in my blood.

Ever since I was a kid, hockey's been a central theme. Me, along with my two older brothers, used to play. They continued on until college, but I stopped after realizing, in high school, I wanted to focus on my studies and become a nurse. Despite not playing, I was always in front of the screen whenever the Montréal Canadiens were playing.

It's a little heart-wrenching to have Kal no longer playing for Montréal, but I'm trying to adapt. At least he didn't get traded to the Calgary Flames or Boston Bruins. I would never cheer for those teams.

Reintroducing myself to reality, I turn to Ella and Brenna. They're working on the homemade pizzas. Brenna is kneading the pizza dough, the outline of her toned arms highlighted by the soft lighting above. Ella's adding spices to the sauce: oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, a hint of cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, and parsley flakes. There's a unique aroma to the air, something like a bakery mixed with spices and the bitter undertones of gin.

Combine that with the music trickling in the background and the glow of the muted TV with a hockey game playing, you have a girls' night.

Setting my glass down, I pick up the knife and continue chopping up the toppings. Before me are several fresh bowls full of diced tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, artichokes, pineapple, kale, arugula, olives, and more.

"Any ideas on wedding themes yet?" Brenna asks after a sip of her mocktail. The taste makes her cringe, and she shoots a longing glance at my gin and tonic.