32

Melody

Melody

Dad links his arm through mine. There are tears in his eyes when he says, "Are you ready, baby girl?"

I beam at my dad. Like most people, including myself, he's trying to battle his inner emotions. Today is a bittersweet day. I'm ecstatic to be marrying Kal and have this moment of forever. What saddens me is that "'til death do us part" will take on its meaning within a matter of months. Leaving Kal and the people I love behind... it's unfathomable. It makes me feel like the villain, when the villain is the cancer spreading through my body.

I wasn't joking when I said I'd approve of Ella marrying Kal. After I die, I want someone who will fill Kal's life with love, compassion, and adventure. Ella is that person. Sometimes, I see Ella looking at him in ways I can't comprehend. It's a mix of reminiscence and longing, and I don't think she's aware of it.

Seeing Ella this way doesn't bother me. Years of history exist between them, and there's something special about your first love. Especially when it's Kaleb Jones. He's notorious for stealing hearts. His charm is enough to bring you to your knees.

And then there's Kal... He cares so much about his friends and family. For him, falling in love with Ella again would be like fitting the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle into place. Natural. Ever since Ryland—that fucking asshole—cheated on Ella, Kal's been so good to her.

Whether they'll admit it, there's still something there between them. Knowing that both of them will find happiness makes my heart ache less. All I want is for them to be happy. Remember me, but also be happy.

Somewhere, in all the pain that life brings, happiness exists. It's like the sun. Clouds will cover it and shed their tears across the world. Other days, golden light will fill the darkest of corners, giving you the strength to begin again.

That reassurance—that safety net is what I have to hold on to.

They'll find happiness again. Broken hearts heal, love persists, and memories never fade.

Which is why I give my dad's forearm a squeeze and nod. "I'm ready, Dad."

Behind the closed doors, the soft trickle of music seeps through. It isn't the regular wedding march that plays in movies. It's a violin version of "Songbird" by Fleetwood Mac.

Clearing his throat, Dad pushes the doors open and we step through. The first person I see is Kal. He's standing at the end of the aisle at the altar. He's dressed in a black suit with a tie that matches the baby-pink accents. His dark medium wavy hair is textured and calm; it forms relaxed waves while looking sophisticated. When he sees me, his lips form a surprised 'o.' His eyes are wide with awe, and I have to look away to control my reddening cheeks. Kal's stare is always intense when he's laden with passion. Right now, it's almost unbearable. Knowing that gaze is reserved for me makes me want to do other things. Things that involve his hands and mouth and the rest of his body.