24

Brenna

Brenna

The jeans I'm wearing strain against the soft bump in my belly. Adapting to the changes my body is going through has been difficult. At the beginning, when I first noticed an increase in weight, I started reverting to how I was in high school: addicted to exercise. With help from Shea and a bit of counselling, I'm on a plan to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Sticking to it has been difficult, especially after the incident with Mikael, but I'm getting the help I need. Plus, seeing Shea and KJ vouch for me helps. They will not let Mikael get away with this—and neither will I. No matter how much attention it brings to me. I'm prepared for any backlash because backlash is inevitable. Some people will believe me, others won't. So thank god for Shea and KJ.

Still, I'm concerned about KJ. Reiterating what Ella has said, this isn't normal behaviour. KJ is a professional hockey player—emphasis on the word professional. Hence the reason he sweet-talked his security guard friend into giving him the footage.

Leaning forward, I rest my elbows on my knees and focus on the TV. KJ lunges for Mikael again as the refs break the fight apart. The cameras show confusion on both sides of the ice. When they zoom in on my husband, he's rubbing the stubble on his jaw, loitering around the bench. He's chewing on the inside of his cheek as he watches KJ's meltdown. He shakes his head and steps onto the bench.

Just like Shea, I can already tell KJ's been ejected from the game.

Following their coach, KJ skates off of the ice with his head hung low. His posture is rigid and blood stains his jersey.

For a second, he pauses at the bench and looks at Shea. It's difficult to read their exchange through the television screen, but I'm assuming Shea is giving him shit or hinting that a conversation will take place later. I can tell by his expression. Shea gives me the same expression whenever we're fighting or if he has more to say.

That's one reason I love him. He doesn't let things fester. He cuts right to the point, even if it hurts. The other day, he sat me down. He told me he was worried about me reverting to my old dieting and exercise patterns. That's why the plan was constructed. To keep me on the right path.

Shea cares so much.

Once KJ has disappeared down the tunnel, they switch to commercial. From the coffee table, I grab the remote and hit the mute button, craning my head backwards to ease some of the ache in my muscles. I toss the remote on the couch beside me, and then my hand returns to my stomach. KJ's behaviour concerns me. However, I also need to focus on my body. I'm having a baby. Shea and I made this kid. There's anxiety and excitement pulsing through my veins. On one hand, I feel fragile, as if a single wrong move will affect the pregnancy. I also feel bionic—my body is providing for two lives and I haven't turned into a blubbering disaster yet.

This is unfamiliar territory, Bren. Don't sell yourself short.

Shea's words echo in my mind, and they make me wonder when he developed such wisdom. Ever since we found out about the baby, he's been the logical one. The one that's kept me grounded. It'll be difficult when he goes on his upcoming road trip, but I'll have Ella and Melody close by.