Need for Change

Lance's POV

The alarms went off blaring throughout the castle.

"Paladins we are under attack, get to the control room immediately!" Allura's voice boomed.

I need to get up and get to the control as quick as possible, I don't want to be anymore of a disappoint than I already am to the group. But I have to put on my concealer to cover my imperfect skin especially my freckles and then put my contact lenses in. I need to cover up my any flaws that show any weakness.

I had been self conscious since I was younger, people use to always bully me for how I looked. A Cuban with freckles all over half my face and wearing glasses, I was always called 'nerd' or 'weirdo' it got worse once I had presented as an omega. 

'Ugly omega! Whose gonna want you!?' 'Male omega's are freak's of nature, no one will love you!' These phrases tormented my life daily and they still do, haunting my dreams, echoing in my head rattling around with all the other negativity and insecurity I hold.

Once I had covered my fault's I quickly put on my armour and sprinted towards the bridge.

"You're late!" Allura scowled without hesitation.

"Not that I'm not surprised you rarely do anything right.."

Ouch that one hurt, but I didn't let it show.

"Sorry Princess but beauty takes times, even for the enemy." I smirk trying to joke to lighten the mood from my lateness.

But I'm met with disapproving looks from Allura, Shiro & Keith. I see Hunk & Pidge slightly smirk but turn away.

"Lance, this is not a game this is war. You need to take this more seriously otherwise you could get one of us hurt, or worse killed." Shiro spoke sternly at me.

The Omega in me starts to ache. To be told off by the head Alpha was painful for an Omega, it conflicted with what I was meant to do; please and calm everyone in our pack, but I'm a Beta not an Omega. I fought my instincts as I always had and tried to reply back.

"Shiro I think sometimes your forget that we are just ki.."

"I don't wanna hear it Lance!" his voice raised slightly, Shiro almost never raises his voice, especially at someone he's meant to be close too. Am I that bad a person? My Omega wins out and forces me to drop my head and look away from Shiro.

"Sorry Shiro." Is all I manage to say before he starts walk back to the front of the group and discuss today's training session.

***

After this morning's interaction I made a decision. I'll be the best Beta a pack could want. I'll train as hard as possible, talk less to not cause offence and be on time for everything. They'll never know I'm an Omega, I can't risk loosing another family even if I have lied to them.

At dinner I was the first to arrive, I was already half way through eating when everyone else came through as a group.

"Oh wow Lance you're already here?" Pidge commented.

I just looked over and nodded, smiled then back to my food. They seemed fine with just that, showing me this was the right behaviour to become accepted.

As they all sat to eat, they conversed while I remained in silence. Hunk & Pidge tried to talk to me a few times, but I just smiled and nodded along not always understanding what they were on about. I guess I can add stupidity to my list of things I need to improve on.

After I was finished, I got up, cleaned my plate said 'goodnight' to the room and left. I need an early sleep if I'm going to improve.

_________________________________________________

Hiya, hope you like it so far, is first time doing a Voltron/Lance story. =]