page 88

I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, wrap my arms around her and sleep.  Not fûck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room, collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.

Alaska and Miles go through the other students' dorm rooms hunting for porn and after actually finding a movie, they play it and Alaska falls asleep and Miles is watching her.

This is truly my favourite quote. Not only of this book but of all time. I simply like the structure, the metaphors and the message. It is because of this quote that I got into writing poetry. I know this quote by heart, no joke. There are simply no words other than John Green's to describe how perfectly hopeless one feels when having the one you love in reach but not close enough to get them. The way he describes the powerful feelings of unrequited love through the metaphor of rain and the hopelessness of not being good enough for that person is just heartbreaking and beautiful all in one... I could literally go on for days. If you'd like to talk more about the sense behind these quotes feel free to slide into my dms.