0.12

CHAPTER TWELVE
YOU REMEMBER THAT?

The conversation with Jason kept creeping up in my mind and replaying like a broken record throughout my whole shift. As closing time neared, I was more than happy and ready to head home and soak my body in a hot bubble bath — something that was definitely long over due.

"Are you sure you can come in tomorrow? It's your day off after all," Cece spoke as she followed behind me as I walked towards the back exit.

Turning around, I smiled at her. "Don't worry, Cece," I laughed, "It's all good. I didn't have any plans anyways." Just as I finished my sentence, my phone chimed in the back pocket of my jeans.

"Well okay," she breathed out a breath of relief. "If you're sure."

"I'm sure," I reassured her one last time before pulling the door open and stepping out in the early Monday morning. On my way towards my car, I reached for my phone. Unlocking the screen I stared at the contact name before skimming over the text preview; deciding to read it fully and respond from inside of the car.

Settling down in the plush, fabric seat, I fully opened the message. Hey, are you working today? the text from Luke read. A smiley face emoticon at the end of it.

My fingers swiftly moved across the keyboard as I typed out and sent the reply. Not even thirty seconds later, my phone pinged again. Bummer this text read, a sad face accompanying the one word inside the blue bubble.

Assuming that he has something planned for us and now had to cancel it because of me did put unnecessary weight on my shoulders, making me feel slightly sad. But also at the same time I was revealed that I could get out of whatever Luke had planned for us.

With Jason crashing into my life again, I don't even know where I want Luke and I to stand — where I wand Luke to stand. It's no brainer that I do like him, a lot. And if I'm not reading things wrongly then Luke obviously likes me, but with Jason being back in my life things get complicated.

Jason isn't one to back down from a challenge if one is presented to him. And he's definitely the type of person who gets what he wants, even if it would mean physically fighting with someone. Which I really don't want happening because even in this short amount of time, I have came to care and like Luke very much.

But I also don't want to string Luke along while I figure out this shit between me and Jason. Even if I don't want to admit it, my feelings towards Jason haven't gone away. He was my first actual, serious boyfriend and so the care and love I felt — feel — for him will always be there, no matter how he treats me or how we end things.

Placing my forehead against the top of the steering wheel, I heaved a heavy sigh while I started at the grey car carpet underneath my feet. I should vacuum that thing. Whoever created love triangles deserve to be pushed down a cliff. They're no good and only makes someone's life so much more messier.

A WEEK LATER

The sound of my ring tone cut through the otherwise quiet car like a bullet through the air. Reaching over, I broke of the safety rules as I accepted the call, pressing the device against my ear. "Hello?" I spoke, keeping my eyes on the road.

"Nic?" Squeezing my eyes shut for a quick second, I cursed myself for not checking the caller ID before answering.

"Yeah," I let out a breathlessly, my heart thumping wildly behind the sternum. "What's up?"

He chuckled slightly, probably sensing the awkwardness I was feeling within my body. "Well I was calling to see if you'd like to go to the Zoo with me or something, but it sounds like you're driving," he spoke, ignoring the most basic question people ask each other. "Wait, since when do you answer the phone while driving? You always got so mad at me whenever I did it."

Before I could stop myself from voicing my thoughts out loud, my mouth was already on the mission of sabotaging me, "You remember that?"

"Yeah," he awkwardly replied, stretching the word out. Clearing his throat, I could just imagine him awkwardly fidgeting as he didn't know what to do or say next. "Yeah, I mean how could I forget that? Or really anything about you– about us?"

"Just like you could so simply cheat on me and ruin our relationship," I quietly spoke, turning my blinker on as I eased the car closer to the exit. Driving down from the freeway, I rolled all the way down to the stop light before reaching for my phone that was sandwiched in between my shoulder and ear. Putting it on loud speaker, I dropped it on my lap.

"Uh how did you get my number?" I suddenly asked, the fact that I haven't given it to him just now registering in my mind.

"That guy that I talked to at the bar... he gave me it," Jason replied, a slight trample to his voice, "offered himself. All I wanted was to know if you're working there. The next thing I know he's letting me know your whole schedule and slipping me a napkin with your phone number written on it."

"Of course," I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

"Are you mad at me?" Jason suddenly asked, catching me totally off guard. To be frank, that was the last question I imagined him asking.

Heavily sighing, I rubbed my face with both hands as I waited for the traffic light to turn green. "There's a lot of things I'm mad about when it comes to you," I finally replied, placing my hands back on the steering wheel, "but this isn't one of them."

I could hear him breath a sigh of relief before a silence settled between us — even if we're on call. Just as I went to check if he hadn't hung up, his voice rang through the speaker once again, "Can I know the things you're mad about? You know, when it comes to me."

The way he said it, made me feel partly guilty. It was suddenly like a lil kid asking for an apology or being really regretful about something bad he had done.

Could it actually be that Jason is telling the truth for once and that this whole thing isn't just an act?

"Do you actually want to know?"

"Yeah."

***
i keep coming and going lmfaoooo

also i sped things up with this chapter because we about to do some time jumps as i'm planning on ending this book around chapter 20

so uh yeah vote and comment