Chapter 10

Chapter 10    

 Elizabeth

I moved across the heavily crowded dance floor, which was technically the living room of Joe’s house. All the furniture was pushed aside so that everybody could sweat their asses off to the blaring music without bumping into anything. Joe was the DJ which wasn’t surprising because apart from throwing the best known teen parties in town he was the greatest DJ around. Occasionally he played soft romantic music and in seconds everybody paired up to join the slow rhythm. I really wasn’t in the mood to party right now and the only reason I had accepted the invite was that it gave me an excuse to stay away from Daniel, at least for a while.

I was informed of the reason why I had been acting weird yesterday night; apparently it was the side effect of the bond and since it wasn’t complete the side effects wouldn’t be going away any time soon. On my question about what exactly did completing the bond meant, Damien had answered that I had let Daniel drink my blood, there was no way I was letting that happen. My powers were preventing me or rather protecting me from having these side effects. Too much accumulation of my powers had side effects too, so till I figure out a way that didn’t involve bleeding I was going to stay away from Daniel as much as I can. Easier said than done because we were living in the same house. I had gotten early in the morning and had headed straight to school and from there I had passed time at Jenny’s place, went clothes shopping with her, Huan-yue and Maryam until it was finally the time to ready for the party. So far, I think I did a pretty good job at maintaining a distance between Daniel and me, though staying at Jenny’s house everyday till night-time was not a really good option.

I was wearing a sparkly red shirt over skinny-jeans, the jeans were great, but I wasn’t keen about the shirt. It was Huan-yue’s idea, she said it complemented my skin tone. I finally gave in to her consistent arguments and wore the stupid shirt to shut her up. According to my knowledge, nobody has successfully won an argument from Huan-yue. She had also created a fuss about not bringing my boyfriend along and to that I had to lie that he was sick. I did love what she did to my hair, she somehow made my wavy hair bouncier that usual in one of those messy but stylish hairstyles.

I finally reached the other side of the room after bumping into at least ten different people. Maryam and Jenny were waiting for me there. Jenny was sitting on the sofa and seemed to be sleeping which was really odd; she usually is really loud and energetic at parties. She was dressed in more of a gangsta way, leather shorts and a leather jacket over simple tee. She also wore those weird looking multiple lockets. Maryam was standing next to the sofa in her elegant blue dress, I would have sucked wearing that long a dress, but she made it seem strangely easy and casual.

Maryam grabbed my arm and had to shout to be heard over the immensely loud music. “Don’t drink the punch! I think somebody spiked it.” She pointed at Jenny, who wasn’t particularly sober.

“I have had it with these lame party pranks! They do it in almost every party. How many times should they be reminded that underage drinking is against the law?!”

Maryam nodded, “That’s why I stay away from any drinks they offer me at these parties.” She looked around then asked, “Where’s Huan-yue?”

“Dancing,” I replied, pointing towards the dancing teens. She seemed to be having fun and I had no idea how her mini skirt stayed in place all this time or maybe it was my lack of experience in wearing skirts that made me think so. Jenny groaned and mumbled that she wanted to go home. Maryam checked her watch and noted, “It’s past midnight, so I guess I should be going home too. Help me carry this drunken moron to my car, I was her ride anyway.” I nodded and took her arms from one side while she took the other. I don’t know why, but Jenny felt lighter than usual, I looked towards Maryam who was having difficulty in holding on to her side. Could it be another side effect from the bonding that I could carry more weight without any trouble?! I wasn’t sure if it was a good thing or a bad one so I mentally kept a note to ask Daniel later.