20. The Hunt p.2

It had been a long day through the hunt and the sharp twange of a bow an arrow could be heard faintly every ten minutes. Knight Apprentice Markus, sighed. A crisp white cloud surrounded his vision as he sat on a log, not caring about the fierce and confrontational stare of the guard following him.

So far, not a single arrow had left his quiver. He didn't plan to a little girl's guard. Not only that, Markus didn't want to be a knight at all. He could have probably said something to his father about not going to the event, but he wouldn't have gotten an answer.

He'd once tried to speak to his father about his disinterest in the knight title but had only got locked in a closet. It took three days for his mother to find the key to get him out. 

From the way his mother and father acted, it was clear to tell that the honor of a knight was drivel. They might have lived in a rich house and attended great events, he might have girls constantly vying for his attention or a set future, but the current state of the world meant the title was nothing.

His father's title had been gained through back stabbing, vile means, and a constant fight kept up against anyone who was remotely talented. That meant he was only allowed to make friends with loyalty, was to strike down and belittle his talented friends, and was to maintain a perfect facade in front of everyone.

Yet he didn't want that. He'd rather live in some drab house with little necessities if only he could live a normal life. He didn't want to be stuck with blood on his hands and an empty sense of meaning. But by the age of 7, he'd already lost all niavety involving a normal life.

Being born as a knight meant to kill, whether he wanted to or not. Now that he'd grown old enough to realize what he wanted, and his stepmother had her second son, he could finally let go of all this. He'd leave it to someone else to take the title of knighthood. His mother was already on deaths door so his father could not  threaten him anymore. What did he have to loose?

So he'd given up.

No matter how many beasts came running past, he did not raise his bow. He'd let that guard watching him report to his father, saying that he was useless. That would be even better.

Slowly, he relaxed his head against the tree behind, closing his eyes drearily. Sleep would be nice, he thought in the darkening sky. When suddenly, the tromp of heavy feet marched up in front of his log and a loud voice interupted his sleep. "Hey, Lord Gravel..." Then a kick hit his shin.

He opened his eyes to stare at the three boys who stood before him, staring defiantly down at him. Markus rolled his eyes. These looked like a bunch of long kids who hadn't learned to raise a sword, much less a boy. They were practically dressed in rags. It's likely their families did nothing but expected a lot from it.

The first boy, the one who had sneered before, glared. "Oh, is it too tiring to speak with us, Lord Gravel?" He said with an exerated boy that even royalty would not approve. The boy's eyes held bright, firey disdain as he spoke. They likely didn't even know that Gravel wasn't his last name. Markus had taken his mother's. "Well get up." 

The boy kicked again. "You spoiled brat- you must be hunting hard for points, to butter up to the Lord. Ha, he probably bribed the guard to help him." The boy said with a laugh, his friends were  joined in, not caring about the furious faces of their own guards.  Markus couldn't help but admit, it was a wonder how this boy's family knew about his own family's bribery. Yet, it wasn't much of a secret either.

Another boy spoke up. "With so much money, he could afford to pay for a guard's life.  You think he would pay us to hunt for him." 

The third boy shook his head. "You know what, it'd probably be easier to get a job at the Little Lady's side rather then serve this bastard."

 Markus wanted to roll his eyes. These comments were so inventive. Never heard those before. Most lower ranked knights who could barely sustain their life on their knighthood were sensitive about money.  They'd mock those higher then them when they could, then curry favor in just a turn of a head. 

Most felt entilghted to more moeny even after they did nothing but laze around. Lord Eddigton didn't need these useless things. Better to just find the capable ones, not that his family had any of those.

Markus lifted himself from his log, towering above these young boys without threat. He'd just wanted to walk away, yet he'd been immediately struck with a punch. Ah, what a boring day, he thought as he readied his own fists, uncaring about what would happen after.

Needless, to say, in a couple strikes,  Markus had earned two things, over 20 points from each boy and the title 'purple-haired demon' that would follow in his footsteps forever. 

For those three days, smaller apprentice knights would come up to him, challenge him, and loose. He collected, in total, over 50 points and did not know a thing. The guard that followed him soon learned to deal with the fact that the apprentice he followed was not unskilled, but lazy. 

The guards who watched the fighting could only shake their heads at the stupidity of  those who challenged the son Sir Gravel.

| Author's Note |

You can scold me now. I know I skipped out on the fight scene. It's just... well... I really don't want to. I have another 3 chapters to write, at least, and this guy only really needed to be known as a lazy ass who could have done better. Markus is by definition, a man angry at the fact he has privilege. 

Well, just how that privilege was obtained. He doesn't much use his father's name, only to live and that's pretty much it. He's not a very good man, cause he's lazy af, but that doesn't mean he'll cooperate willingly. You can already guess a bit from the context above.

Unedited.980 words.