IXX

Wonderful fanart made by @TempermentalTeenager in Art Book Galore. Please check out the original image if you can! 

Beta: TaintedLetter

(óヮò)ノ*:・゚✧

They did not stay at Briggs for more than another couple more hours. General Armstrong showed Papa and Elizabeth around the fort, answered questions, and gave Elizabeth an odd smile. It was abundantly clear that General Armstrong was pleased with Elizabeth's results with the Drachma soldiers. It showed both in her demeanor, and her respectful tone she used when addressing Elizabeth.

Elizabeth was downright happy to have earned the respect of such an intriguing woman, and she reciprocated the treatment with sweet smiles and cheerful conversation.

It was a shame that they couldn't stay for much longer, but Papa wanted to move down to inspect Dublith.

And off they went.

(óヮò)ノ*:・゚✧

Like with the previous train ride, this one was a comfortable one. Since they were traveling at night, however, Elizabeth took the opportunity to get some sleep. She curled up beside her Papa, and he indulged her affection with patient tolerance until the morning rays of sun peeked through and showed off the city of Dublith.

Dublith was the second most southern city in Amestris, and was most known for its dark lake that attracted plenty of tourists itching to go camping. It was a decent enough time with a small military outpost—that likely had a panic attack when Papa radioed them less than an hour before the train would arrive that he was coming for a surprise inspection and he wanted a dozen guards prepared.

Since it was roughly still in the middle of Amestris—not too west, or east—it had a mild climate that would fluctuate during the seasons. This was also part of its appeal, as some of the other cities were too far stretched out and stuck in certain climates.

The train pulled in to Dublith and Elizabeth was the first to exit. She stepped off the train, relieved that snow was not greeting her this time around, and assessed the gathered soldiers who stood in salute for them.

Papa stepped off behind her, glancing at the soldiers. "At ease. Let's not waste much time. Is the car prepared?"

"Sir!" A soldier stepped forward. "The vehicle is prepared, sir. Please follow me."

Papa inclined his head in acknowledgement, and both he and Elizabeth followed behind the forgettable soldier into an awaiting car. The car took off the moment they were seated, and Elizabeth could see that they were closely followed by other cars filled with soldiers.

'A little odd for an inspection,' she thought.

"Papa, what are the soldiers for?" she inquired, glancing over at her Papa and surprised to find him taking off his coat and pulling out his rapiers from his suitcase.

"Hmm." Papa hooked his rapiers onto his outfit. "Officially, this is an inspection. In truth, this is an extermination. The soldiers here caught wind of some rats that need to be caught."

Elizabeth let out a soft oh at that, understanding what was going on. "What would you have me do, Papa?"

Papa didn't respond for several minutes. Not even when the car stopped and he got out—Elizabeth followed right behind him. He walked over to the entrance of a foul-smelling hole in the wall with an ugly sign that read Devil's nest.