XXV

Beta: TaintedLetter

Warning: Violence & death. Disturbed thoughts.

ò)*:・゚

Elizabeth Luxanna stood outside the coroner's office, patiently waiting for its occupant to come greet her after she knocked. She had to wait for several minutes—which was understandable, if the man was caught up elbow-deep in human remains.

Doctor Knox stepped out, still dressed in a thick white apron that was smeared with old blood. His surgical mask was tugged down, revealing a haggard face. Dark eyes glowered down at Elizabeth with unhidden annoyance, and the older man sharply asked her, "What do you want?"

Elizabeth held up a formal document with Papa's signature at the bottom. "I'm here to examine Maria Ross's remains on behalf of the führer."

"Why?" Doctor Knox asked suspiciously, a slight twitch in his facial features revealing a level of unease.

'Why is he uncomfortable?' Elizabeth questioned.

"Führer Bradley is keenly interested in how the Hughes case turns out," Elizabeth lied. Papa didn't really care how the matter was solved, as long as unnecessary parties did not interfere with his plans, or discover the homonculi's secret.

Doctor Knox accepted the document Elizabeth held out, proving her authorization to examine the remains. The veteran let out a gruff hmph. "Well you're a little lad. I've already disposed of the body."

A sting of irritation made Elizabeth's fingers twitch toward her rapier, and her eyes narrow. "That's highly irregular of you to violate protocol."

'Was I right? Did Mustang fake the body and this man is covering for him?'

"I needed the room," he muttered. "Given what she did, I didn't think she deserved much respect."

'He's lying.'

Elizabeth cooled her expression. "I see. Thank you for your time, then, Doctor Knox."

'He's an ally of Mustang's.'

'Mustang knows the military is covering up Hughes' assault. If that stupid homonculus hadn't attacked Hughes, Selim and Papa's secret wouldn't be in jeapordy!'

As Elizabeth turned away, her mind worked with a furious speed.

'Does Mustang know? How much does he know exactly? Is he a threat to Selim and Papa, or is he someone who would not show prejudice against non-humans?'

Elizabeth had hoped Mustang would take care of the rogue homunculus for her, but if he was becoming a threat...

She could not act without confirmation. Taking on Mustang would be a step above street rat fodder.

ò)*:・゚

"You believe Mustang has become a threat and wish to test him?" Papa repeated back, wanting to confirm Elizabeth's intent.

Elizabeth gently poured the tea out of Papa's favorite clay pot and into his favorite teacup. The aromatic scents of lavender and black tea filled the office room.

Elizabeth affirmed, "Yes, Papa."

"I have to admit I've been keeping an eye on Mustang, but he is not someone you are permitted to kill. Regardless of if he is a threat to Selim, or myself, we need him alive for now."

The emphasis on we told Elizabeth that it was what Selim wanted as well. She chewed on the inside of her cheek before coming to the conclusion that she could simply chop off all of Mustang's limbs and keep him imprisoned if he was deemed a threat.