XXVII

Artwork by arneewenn on deviantART. :) 

Beta: TaintedLetter

(óヮò)ノ*:・゚✧

The following day the Elric brothers briefly visited Elizabeth in her greenhouse while she worked. It was without surprise that they wanted to discuss Nina's reformation into a human. Elizabeth gave them her notes, and the three of them enjoyed a delightful morning of alchemical debate.

It did eventually lead into Alphonse asking, "Where is Nina now? Is she inside?"

"I have a friend up north, a brilliant scientist," Elizabeth said, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I've sent Nina and her dog up there for now."

"Huh? How come?" Alphonse asked, surprised.

"Nina's lost her memories as a side effect to the transmutation," Elizabeth explained. "I'm ill equipped to rehabilitate her into society, or help her with the psychological trauma likely created. Doctor Lustavious is better suited to such. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to say goodbye, but I thought it would be best if Nina received help as soon as possible."

Edward scratched the back of his head, frowning slightly. "It's a shame, but understandable."

"She's young, so she should be able to make a full recovery," Elizabeth stated confidently. "I'll write down the contact information for Doctor Lustavious for the two of you. If you're ever up north, feel free to visit. Just let her know that you're my friends."

After Elizabeth quickly scribbled down Lust's phone number, Edward pocketed it and thanked her.

"How long do you think rehabilitation will take?" Alphonse inquired.

"Hard to say," Elizabeth answered with a shrug. "I have limited knowledge in psychology, and Nina is a unique case. I do know that this first year is crucial, though. Perhaps at the end of the year the three of us could visit her?"

"That'd be great," Edward said, grinning. "Oh... hey, Lizzie, do you have any spare emergency kits?"

Elizabeth blinked in surprise at that question, a little thrown off guard by the abrupt change. She slowly nodded. "Yes, I have a few made up. Do you need some?"

"Ehhh... better safe than sorry. Alphonse and I have some things we need to take care of," Edward said, pointedly looking away from Elizabeth.

Elizabeth's eyes narrowed and she peered suspiciously at him. "Hmm... are you guys worried about that Ishvalan?"
The serial killer who was targeting State Alchemists had returned to Central. Last time Edward and Alphonse had fought him, they barely escaped with their lives. It infuriated Elizabeth that such a cretin was still alive.

She wished Papa would give her permission to hunt it down, but Papa was reluctant to do so. Papa would readily admit that Elizabeth was a fine soldier, and more than capable of eliminating trash, but the serial killer known as Scar was a step above trash. He was a viable threat to alchemists. If Elizabeth was stuck in hand to hand combat against him, she would lose.

But if Elizabeth landed one of her toxins on him, she would win.

Since that was an if, and not a sure fire statement, Papa would not tolerate risking her. The only way he would send Elizabeth out to hunt down Scar would be if it was absolutely necessary, or if Pride accompanied her. Pride would be more than capable of dealing with serial killer—especially with the help of Elizabeth—but Pride had to concentrate on other things in Central. Elizabeth didn't know what Pride was working on, but she knew it was important.