XXVI

Beta: TaintedLetter

Warning: Standard FMA warnings apply.

(óヮò)ノ*:・゚✧

Elizabeth smiled in satisfaction as she watched her test subject quiver from the end of her experiment.

'A success,' Elizabeth cheerfully concluded. 'With this... yes. I'm ready.'

Stepping down from her stool, Elizabeth moved away from her autopsy table. She carefully pulled off her blood-soaked apron, hanging it on the hook as she peeled off her gloves and mask. She let her hair free from the tight bun she had to wear during the experiment and opened her laboratory door.

To her delightful surprise she found Selim on the other side, about to knock. She beamed. "Selim! Guess what?"

"What?" he asked her, amused by her bubbly enthusiasm.

"I'm ready to reverse Nina," Elizabeth declared, gesturing toward the snake lady she had split apart, put back together, and pulled apart again, and again, and again, and again, and again—

"Congratulations, Ellie," Selim praised her, his dark eyes flickering over to the human strapped to the table. "Where's the snake?"

Elizabeth nodded toward the back where she had set up a terrarium for the snake. "She's enjoying retirement."

"Will the human get to retire?" Selim asked her.

Elizabeth tapped her cheek. She didn't want to be so merciful with that vile woman who forced herself inside of Alphonse. What that snake did to her poor friend was violating. Even if Alphonse insisted he was fine, Elizabeth couldn't bring herself to forgive the act.

So she suggested, "Would you like her?"

Selim narrowed his gaze as he reassessed the woman. "She doesn't look like she'd last very long in a hunt."

Elizabeth made an agreeing noise to such. "I don't have any experiments I can use her in, though. The only new creation I have that requires a live subject is the project I'm working on for Papa."

"How far along in that are you, by the way?" Selim inquired.

"I'm ready for first phase testing," Elizabeth admitted, a slight frown on her face. "Papa said I would have to test it out at Fort Briggs, though. I wish you could come with me."

Selim sighed at that. "I do, too. Playing the role of a student is dreadfully dull."

Elizabeth ran her fingers through her hair, her brow furrowing in a brief spike of anxiety. She was reluctant to admit to Papa she was ready for testing since Mustang could make his move at any point. She knew Papa and Selim didn't view Mustang as a threat—and warned Elizabeth not to take him out so soon—but Elizabeth couldn't help but worry. She didn't want to leave their side until she was certain Mustang was eliminated.

Elizabeth recalled something, though, and turned back around into her lab to grab a small black box. She held it out to Selim. "Here, odorless paralysis gas."

"Thank you," Selim accepted the box. "For Mustang's men, I take it?"

"It'll only target the cardiovascular system, so you'll be immune," Elizabeth explained. "Please keep at least one with you."

"You worry too much," Selim insisted, but nonetheless he took out one of the bombs and pocketed it. "Besides, today is a good day, isn't it? I'll get Mother and Nina. I'm sure you'll want to tell the Elrics about this accomplishment."