XXIX

Beta: TaintedLetter

(óヮò)ノ*:・゚✧

Early into the next day Elizabeth headed off to meet with Papa and tell him she was ready to begin testing at Fort Briggs. She still didn't want to go, but she couldn't trust this weapon to anyone outside of the family.

She wished Selim could at least come along.

Her dear friend seemed rather skittish since last night. He must have been focusing on something outside of his vessel, because when Elizabeth went by his room to say goodnight he barely returned her words.

Then this morning when Elizabeth went to greet him, he actually hopped out his window without sparing her a glance.

Something was clearly distracting him, and whatever it was it was dearly important.

While Elizabeth would love nothing more than to pester Selim for an answer, she knew her friend was too prideful to admit a weakness—even to her. He had to go through it on his own.

If he truly needed her help, he would ask.

Elizabeth doubted that would happen since Selim was an excellent problem solver.

The child soldier made her way through Central, her posture precise as always as her heels clicked against the tiled flooring. Those stationed at Central were accustomed to seeing her walk about, and each one moved out of her way without a fuss.

Some might have spared her a nervous glance as she walked by.

Others might have done their best to avoid eye contact with her.

Such blatant displays of avoidance might have bothered other children, but Elizabeth had come to expect such.

She knew that she gave others goosebumps. She knew they were afraid of her, thought her unnatural and dangerous.

They were correct.

Elizabeth reached Papa's office and opened it up to reveal—

'Huh?'

Because sitting across Papa's desk was Colonel Mustang, Edward Elric, and Alphonse Elric.

Elizabeth blinked once, thinking perhaps her eyes were playing tricks on her.

Last she was aware all three of Papa's guests were on the watchlist, and potential threats to eliminate. Yet Papa was comfortably drinking his earl grey tea with them, and offered Elizabeth a (fake) warm smile upon her entry.

For a brief moment a surge of hope shot through Elizabeth.

'Maybe Edward and Alphonse didn't betray us?'

After all, they had no reason to suspect homunculi were anything but evil given their past encounters. Maybe now Papa explained to them that wasn't the case, and her friends would come around.

She—

She really hoped that was true.

She couldn't think of any other reason for them to be there.

"Good timing, Elizabeth, we were nearly done here," Papa said, a cool note in his tone. "These fellows had a few questions about me being a homunculus."

The room stilled, and Elizabeth's eyes brightened. Her heart leaped to her throat as she immediately put together what that information meant.

The emphasis on me instantly told Elizabeth that only Papa's status was revealed—Selim was to still be kept secret.