Chapter 4

Raghu stood outside the hospital, drinking tea from a dingy little tea stall set up in a corner of the hospital compound. A constable came running towards him.

'Sir, there are some media people gathered in the Lobby, demanding to know what happened to the girl.'
'Damn it! Who informed them?', Raghu asked mildly annoyed.
The girl still hadn't woken up and he was already exhausted by the encounter with her parents. And his mind was still buzzing from all the information he had just received regarding Revathy and Right now he was in no state of mind to deal with the reporters.

'Tell them, the victim is still recovering', Raghu said, dismissing the harassed looking constable.

'But Sir, they want a statement from you' , the constable pressed, his eyes begging. Raghu glared at him while he cowered under his gaze. Raghu finished his piping hot tea in another gulp and followed the constable back into the hospital lobby. There he was greeted by a hoarding of microphones and flashes in his face.
'Sir, what happened to the girl? Our sources say she was raped brutally for hours!?'
'Sir, what do you have to say about the growing crime rate against women?'
'Have you caught the rapists? What are you planning to do with them?'

Raghu held up his hands in defeat.
'The victim is still under recovery. We will present the criminals in the court on Monday'

'Sir, can u describe in what had happened to the victim?' , asked a journalist with a tortoiseshell eyeglasses perched delicately over her upturned nose.

'Well, our team had found her attacked body in a slum area in close vicinity to the victim's house. So we are assuming she was attacked on her way home from work.', Raghu stated without any emotion.

'Sir, what was state of the crime scene when you arrived? Can you please paint the picture for our readers?', demanded the journalist from before.

'Sorry,  I am not in a position to disclose anymore information ', said Raghu, indicating that it is time that they wrapped his interrogation.

He  pushed his way through the crowd of reporters and photographers and looked for a place to rest.
It was already midnight.

******************************************************
Radhika woke up in a frenzy. Her surroundings were unfamiliar. It seemed to be a medical facility.Her throat was parched and her body ached all over. Her eyes hurt from the light that fell on her eyes from directly.
She saw that there were all kinds of tubes attached to her body.
Her head felt heavy and she couldnt find the energy to move her hands towards her face.

She tried recollecting what had happened to her. The incidents of the previous evening came rushing to her and a job escaped from her throat. Those men had defiled her. They had ripped and shredded her dignity to pieces. She felt filthy.
A monitor beside her started beeping furiously. Nurses started crowding around her bed.
'Doctor, she is awake, her heart hate is accelerating! ', stated one nurse calmly to an approaching doctor.
The doctor pierced her arm with an injection needle.
'That was a sedative. You should rest now. Don't worry, You are in safe hands.', the doctor consoled her, patting her head as she fell into a dreamless sleep.