Chapter 13

The room Radhika was made to sit in was a messy affair. There were baby clothes, toys and many other accessories and products an infant might require, strewn around the living room. Sans the baby accessories , the space displayed tasteful Bohemian Decor. It was a cheerful room that exuded a free and fun spirited vibe. Radhika was particularly fascinated by a 'black and gold Mandala' painting that was hung over a wooden credenza.
'We got that one from a gypsy in Bangkok. She claimed it was hand drawn on a cow hide. Cost us a fortune, I must say. But I am still not sure about its authenticity. I mean, the lady seemed shady.', Sateesh told her when he saw her scrutinising the wall art.

'If you thought it was a fake, then why did you buy it?', asked Raghu who was listening to the rather one sided conversation closely.

'Well, Eeswari loved it and you know I cannot tell her a no, even if my life depends on it.'

'Typical', scoffed Raghu.

'Yes, it is typical when you are in love. And you my friend too will be soon fulfilling every whims and fancies of your lady love. Right Radhika?', Sateesh said looking at Radhika.

Radhika blushed while Raghu looked away. He was right now overwhelmed by a huge wave of feelings. He was feeling guilty and confused. He felt like he was being unfair to both Revathy and Radhika by comparing them both. He knew he was being an idiot by trying to compare two completely different women's personalities just because they had an identical face.

Interrupting Raghu's thoughts, Eeswari waddled like a penguin into the living room with a big tray of snacks and drinks.
'Sorry for the mess. My friends threw me a surprise baby shower last night but they weren't generous enough to clean afterwards. And I am always tired to do anything nowadays', Eeswari told Radhika gesturing towards her baby bump.

'No need to apologise. We could have cancelled the dinner if you weren't feeling up-to it.', Radhika said with concern etched all over her face.

'Are you kidding me? I wouldn't have cancelled this dinner even if I were dying.', joked Eeswari, which earned her a glare from Sateesh. It was clear to Radhika that Sateesh and Eeswari adored each other and their relationship was one of the sweetest things Radhika had ever witnessed.

Soon Radhika came to know that Eeswari was enthusiastic person who could talk any person's ears off. But Radhika had to complains. She was actually craving for someone to talk to her  for once like she was a normal person and not a rape victim. Eeswari told her several things including that Sateesh was Raghu's colleague at work and that she used to work as a Graphic Designer at an advertisement company and now she was enjoying her maternity leave to the fullest before the baby came.
'Do you know when you are due?', Radhika asked pointing at Eeswari big round belly.
'Some time in the next month.', she announced happily patting at her baby bump with love and affection.
Radhika was genuinely happy for her newly found friend and she hoped that someday she could also find that level of happiness that Eeswari was experiencing right now.

'Babe, we should serve dinner.  They must be starving. It is almost nine.', Sateesh informed Eeswari.

'Oh my God! Where are my manners? Honestly, Radhika,  once I start talking I forget about everything else.', Eeswari said in mock horror.

They all went towards the dining room. Radhika helped Eeswari carry in all the food from the open kitchen adjacent to the dining room .
Once they were all settled in with their respective plates of food, they started eating. The men talked about some case they were working on while Eeswari questioned Radhika about where she had studied and what she used to do before her marriage.
'Speaking of your wedding, it was a beautiful affair. But I didn't see your sister , Revathy anywhere.', Eeswari said loudly causing Raghu to drop his spoon with a clatter onto the ceramic plate.
'Revathy?' asked Radhika unable to get more words out of her mouth. The topic of her eloping sister was painful topic that she never knew how to address.
But Radhika was totally confused. How did Eeswari know her sister.

'Yes, I was hoping to catch up with her at the wedding. I haven't seen her since your family moved to Chennai. And during the ceremony, I actually thought Raghu was marrying Revathy. I wouldn't have been surprised.You know they were a thing back in college.'

Raghu would have liked nothing more than to reach across the table and clamp down Eeswari's mouth as she continued her rambling about Revathy's and Raghu's college romance.
But all he could focus on at the moment was, Radhika. Her eyes were brimming with tears . He could only helplessly stare back at her big brown eyes that screamed the pain of betrayal.