Chapter 25

Raghu got off the train on to the crowded platform. The place was giving off a putrid stench and he could not wait to get back to the comforts of his now empty apartment.
After Radhika left, he was filled with a sense of loneliness. He regretted his actions. He always was harsh with Radhika. He couldn't remember a single romantic moment that had happened in the course of their relationship. Even though he harboured an untold love and affection for her, he couldn't bring himself to express it. Partially, it was due to Revathy's unexplainable absence from his life. It always haunted him in a small corner of his mind. The notes he had been receiving had become more suggestive of Revathy's current location. Revathy had started sending him clues along with the notes: A city postcard with romantic poems, Polaroids of her standing in front of famous monuments and landmarks around India, riddles that would lead to small cafes and Restaurants they used to visit etc.

In a normal scenario, the inner sleuth in Raghu would have enjoyed solving the puzzles she had put forth. But all Raghu wanted was closure and to reunite with Radhika. He wanted what he had lost now and in order to attain that he had to fight the loses of his past.

The last clue he had received led him to a small hill station located in the depths of Dehradun. He had interrogated several people with the help of the local police but all his attempts were futile. One man had recognised Revathy when he showed him a Polaroid photograph of a smiling Revathy standing in front of a tea factory. But he didn't know anything about her whereabouts except that she had accompanied some dignitaries. Upon further enquiry about the said dignitaries, the man clamped up after saying giving an excuse that many tourists always came to visit their factory and they never recorded any of their information.

Defeated Raghu was back to his city looking rugged and thin. He hailed a cab to his apartment. After a quick shower, he headed to his office.

DGP Ashok sauntered into his office, looking prim and perfect unlike Raghu, whose shaggy beard and unkempt hair made him look like a disgrace to the police department.
'Why did you go to Dehradun?'  demanded the DGP,  annoyance dancing in His eyes
'Some of the goons in the streets were saying Razak has shifted his base to Dehradun. I wanted to check it out myself.', Raghu lied smoothly.
'And did you find something?', the DGP asked, looking a bit fearful of what Raghu might say next. Clearly,  the scumbag of DGP Ashok was working hand in hand with Razak and Raghu wanted to get him off his back so he consoled him by saying,
'Don't worry. All I did while I was there was talk to some people and visit a shady tea factory in Rampur.' The DGP's eyes widen at what he said.
'Who let you there? What did you find there?', the DGP asked as if some knocked the air out of him.
'No one and Nothing. I went there following my own instincts and I only found a few innocent employees.', Raghu said unabashedly.
'Are you sure?', DGP Ashok pressed, suspiciously.
'Yes. I wasted my time. He wasn't there. Now if you will excuse me, Sir, I have some work to do.', Raghu said dismissively.
The DGP walked out of his office slightly dazed. Raghu was curious as to why the DGP looked so afraid but he couldn't care less.

He had to stay back late at the station to complete all the work he had missed during his mini-vacation. He decided to go home at around 11:00 p.m. He mounted his bike and started heading towards his apartment.
The roads were empty and the street lights flooded the roads with very little light. It was just enough for Raghu to see a truck coming towards his bike dangerously, from the oppsite direction . He tried to steer his Bike out of the way  but was miserably unsuccessful. The bike skid and threw him right under the truck.
As he lied there on the ground alone, bloodied and battered, all he could think of was Radhika, looking radiant as ever, smiling at him, holding a baby.

*************

Far away somewhere, a truck stopped at a small Phone booth. The driver hopped out if the truck in one swift motion. His face was marred with a pink scar running along the left side of his cheek. He dialled a number that was given to him on a torn piece of paper. He heard the phone click on the other side and without waiting for a response. He said
'It is done. He wont trouble you anymore.'