Chapter 35

Amit's eyes gleamed with tears as he continued with his story.'They had then dumped my body in a river, thinking I was dead. I couldn't save my Rezia and neither  could I go back to my criminal life for the fear of Razak. If Razak found out that I was alive, he would certainly make sure that I wouldn't stay that way any longer. So I returned back to my family, finished my studies and started a job in the bank. My parents had by then, started looking for a suitable bridesl for me. I came across Radhika's profile on a matrimonial website and was enthralled by her uncanny resemblance to my Rezia. I had decided that Radhika would be my wife at any cost. I could pretend that she was my Rezia and spend my entire life with her and I sent my parents to her place with a proposal. Everything was going well until Razak's men ruined my plans yet another time. I was on a business trip and my parents called off the wedding without even consulting with me. They didn't want a rape victim as their daughter in law but what they didn't understand was Radhika was my last resort to a happy life. I stopped talking to them. I tried contacting Radhika many times but her parents too were against the idea of me meeting her and they had lodged a complain against me with the police putting me behind the bars during the entire duration of her wedding. I was furious. Radhika and I were meant to be with each other and no one could come between us.  I recognized you the very moment I set my eyes on you outside your apartment block. You were Rezia's ex-boyfriend. The golden boy who had forsaken her pure love for the sake of his parents. And I was sure you were mistreating Radhika too and I had to free her from your clutches so I started sending you on a wild goose chase by sending you cryptic letters based on whatever Rezia had told me about your courtship and you fell for it like a fool. And now I have Radhika with me and all you can do is watch helplessly while we lead a joyous life together.', he stopped his monologue dramatically with a theatrical laugh while Raghu just stared at him incredulously.
He couldn't believe his ears. Whatever Amit had just narrated sounded like a script of a movie and moreover, he couldn't believe that Revathy was dead. But the news did not cause him any grief or emptiness. That's when it dawned on him, he didn't love her anymore. The only person that mattered to him now was Radhika
Radhika was bawling her eyes out. The news of Revathy's demise had come as a great shock to her. Even though she had not seen her sister in a couple of years but she had always assumed her to be leading a safe and sound life. But now she will never be able to see her.
Suddenly she was aware of Amit's closeness. She looked up towards Raghu with pleading eyes. Raghu stepped forward, raising his hands in surrender.
'Amit, I understand what you are going through, but kidnapping Radhika won't bring back the dead. Moreover , this building is surrounded by cops. You cannot get away with it. Please let us go. I will make sure that you go scott-free.', Raghu said as a last resort, to get away with Radhika unscathed.
Amit started laughing again, 'Don't you get it. I don't want any thing else. I only want her and if I don't get her, then no one gets her.', he said with conviction before he slashed the ropes tying her hands together and pulled her up, pressing the nose of his gun to her temple.
He grinned creepily at Raghu before saying, 'It has been a good run. Sadly I have to take her away from you. See you in hell.'
But before he could pull the trigger, Radhika heard an explosion and Amit's knees buckled and he fell face first into the ground.