Chapter 7 : The date

Mike tried many outfits. He was hesitating, not knowing if he should be casual, elegant, cool, or normal. Not normal, it was a date not a party with friends. Elegant maybe? He liked his shirt but thought it was too much, he would scare her. Casual? Cool? What about both? He opted for black sneakers with blue jeans, a white tee-shirt with « Back to the futur » on it, and a black suit jacket. He brushed quickly his hair, put perfume, and smiled to the mirror, proud of himself and excited.

He waited in front of the movie theater, watching constantly his watch like if it could accelerate the time. He was hopping when he saw Jane arriving a bit farther. She was wearing black boots, black jeans, a red Sex Pistols tee-shirt, and a black leather jacket, with her hair in a half-bun.

- "Hey Jane, you look beautiful," the boy greeted with a big smile, feeling his heart racing.

- "Thank you, you look great too," Jane smiled. "You are very elegant, I look like a shit bag next to you."

- "No, no, I like shit bags! No! I mean, you, not shit bags, you look great, arhem," Mike clumsily told, scratching the back of his head.

- "Relax, I'm not here to kill you," the young girl joked to calm him.

- "Yeah, yeah, um, I've got something for you."

Mike searched his jacket pockets to find his present for her. He took off a white flower with a small stalk on it.

- "It's a blossom of an orange tree, it means beauty," Mike explained, feeling the sweat flowing from his forehead.

- "Aww Mike, it's so sweet!"

She took the flower and put it in her jacket, inside her chest pocket, letting the flower exceed. She showed it to Mike who was relieved to see she didn't think it was stupid or tacky. He offered her his arm and took her inside the movie theater.

At the half of the movie, Jane got the giggles. Mike didn't know why she was laughing so much, but he began to chuckle too. Her laugh was the most beautiful one he had heard during his life. Hearing each other made them laugh more and more, annoying the people around. A security guard forced them to leave.

- "I'm sorry," Jane apologised, still laughing.

They were now in front of the building, under the stars.

- "Don't be, it was cool," Mike chuckled.

The two teens took a deep breath and managed to stop laughing.

- "Why did you laugh?" Mike asked.

- "God, have you seen the acting? It was so bad!" Jane explained with a small laugh at the end.

- "Yeah it's true, the first one was better."

Jane nodded and wiped her tears with a smile. Mike thought it was the moment, his eyes were focused on her lips, those beautiful lips which seemed so soft and to taste so good. It was sooner than he planned, but he felt it inside him, it was now or never. He placed his hands on Jane's cheeks and leaned to her. Their lips smashed together. It was tasting mint, probably her toothpaste, with an aftertaste of chocolate. He wanted to stay like that forever, with this feeling of butterflies in his stomach and his knees shaking of happiness. He broke the kiss, more to breath than because he wanted, and looked deeply into her eyes. He smirked, satisfied, and leaned again to kiss her. But this time, she stopped him with her hand on his chest.

- "What?" Mike frowned with a frustated tone.

- "Um, I, I'm sorry..."

- "What? I did something wrong?"

- "No!"

- "Then what!?" Mike continued, feeling the anger growing.

- "It's...complicated..."