Chapter 34 : The visit

Mike gave Max Jane's address. The redhead took the bus to finally arrive in front of what seemed like her apartment. She knocked and heard footsteps coming to her. The door opened and the redhead saw Jane's big sister.

- "What do you want?" Constance asked with a frown.

- "Um, Jane wasn't here today, I wanted to see how she was," Max answered.

- "She is sad."

- "Yeah, I can imagine...Can I see her? Or you're gonna let me stay here?"

Constance took a moment to examine the teen in front of her before opening a bit more the door. Max entered slowly, discovering the apartment. She recognised Jane's green BMX on the right and couldn't hold a smile. She arrived between two doors, Sex Pistols at her right and Pink Floyd at her left. Constance was still behind her, looking at her with strict eyes.

- "Do you have a problem with me?" Max frowned.

- "No, I just wanna be sure you won't be lost," Constance answered, crossing her arms.

- "In a corridor!?"

- "It's a long corridor."

- "No, not really."

Constance rolled her eyes and opened the SexPistols' door.

- "Why do you have to choose the sassiest one!?" the blonde teen told in the room.

- "I didn't choose," Jane answered.

Constance shook her head and let Max enter the room. She told her little sister she was going to work before closing the door.

Max took a look to the room. On the continuity of the door, on the right, was an old and maltreated boxing bag with black gloves on it, then her desk with school books, notebooks, papers, and more school things. On her left was a heap of clothes with dirty shoes for trek and her bike protections. In the left angle was a grey electric guitar, on the right a high turquoise wardrobe, a white nightstand with a lamp and diverse objects, but especially the bracelet she offered her during the scholar trip, and finally the bed on the opposite angle. Jane was laying down on it, holding a Teddy bear, her back turned to the window behind her. The walls were blue with lots of posters on them.

Max went to the bed, looking at the room with a smirk. She was in Jane's world. She sat on the bed, between Jane and the wall and admired the desk in front of her. Her khaki backpack was on the floor, half opened, her leather jacket was on the chair, and on the desk was a small rainbow flag in a pencil case. She had a wastebasket in the shape of a basket of basketball and a baseball bat next to it, leaned on the wall with a glove and an old ball on the floor. Under the desk was a box with many music tapes.

- "Make yourself home," Jane sarcastically mumbled.

- "That's what I do," Max answered.

Jane had a small chuckle but was still looking at her door. Max noticed her red puffy eyes, she had probably cried all day because of the day before.

- "How are you?" the redhead softly asked.

- "Dunno."

Max pouted. She could tell her she was sorry, but it wouldn't change anything.

- "I'm sorry..." Jane whispered with a small voice.

- "Why, why are you sorry?" Max asked.

- "Because, I made you believe it was your fault, but it's not you who hurt me..."

- "Jane, you were scared, and I had no rights to expose you like that."

- "I treated you like shit," Jane stated with an upset tone. "You didn't deserve that."